Find the answer to your Linux question:
Good day everyone, I have to build a script that lists all packages installed from hand and with the automated installer on Red Hat. I though of using 'rpm -qa' ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

List of all application installed

Good day everyone,

I have to build a script that lists all packages installed from hand and with the automated installer on Red Hat. I though of using 'rpm -qa' to get a list of installed RPM's. Now, what can I do to detect the most of applications installed by hand? Check listening ports? Running application?

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

The automated installer puts a list of what it installed into root's home after installation. Anything added after that will be the difference between that list and the output of 'rpm -qa'.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    When you say "installed by hand", do you mean software you compiled from source? If so, then there is no automated way of finding out this info on FC, you have to create a log manually of what you install. If you mean rpms you installed yourself, then they just show up in the list shown by "rpm -qa".

daark.child: yes, I mean installed from source.

I'm going to try something based to the content of bin/, sbin/ and rcX.d directories.

Thanks for the replies!

I've started a similar discussion on BSDForums.org, and someone there (uunixuser) had a great idea about my problem. Let me quote him:
    Just an idea to start...
    Create a script that for each rpm (from rpm -qa) append the output of rpm -ql to a file and then sort it.
    Create a file appending the output of find for some dirs for example /usr /bin /etc ... ( not /proc /dev /home /tmp ... ) and sort it.
    Do a diff of the two files and examine it. You'll get all the files not installed by rpm. You can then refine it, for example if you are only interested in files that go in the various bin dirs, use grep with rpm -ql...