Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I've been using the boot set-up outlined in "Penguin Party, Windows can come too" by VMunoz. Working perfectly for months, still does. I have XP, Fed6 and Suse10.2 on sda. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

booting problem with two sata drives

I've been using the boot set-up outlined in "Penguin Party, Windows can come too" by VMunoz. Working perfectly for months, still does. I have XP, Fed6 and Suse10.2 on sda. Initial Grub would have been loaded into MBR of sda. Bootloader for Fed / Suse is in their root partitions on sda. chainloader is in /data partition on sda and the entries are all the same
    title .................
    chainloader (hd0,x)+1 (x being the partition no.)

I have added a second sata drive sdb. Appears to be working perfectly, have written to it under XP, and both Fed and Suse recognise it. I want to put the linux distros on sdb and leave XP on sda.

To prove the new set-up, I installed PCLinuxOS on sdb5 and put Grub into the root partition of sdb5. No errors on installation. Entry in chainloader on sda was
    title PCLinusOX
    chainloader (hd1,4)+1
    Boot would not work. I just got "GRUB" and nothing else.

After some time trying unsuccessfully to figure out what was wrong , I tried to install Ubuntu 6.10 to rule out PCLinuxOS as the cause. In the installer partitioner I nominated sdb5 as the root partition but the partitioner refused to recognise this and the message was "No Root File System".

My boot set-up is working perfectly on the single drive set-up. I am satisfied that I have been setting up the distros on the second drive in exactly the same manner as I have been doing for months, during which time I have loaded or removed probably half a dozen distros / versions without a problem.

The problem appears to be due to the addition of the second drive. The new drive, sdb, is not the BIOS boot drive, in case that is relevant.

Can anuyone throw some light on this please?

Nomadic

did you add entry of second harddisk in device.map file?

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Casper
    thanks for responding.
    here is device.map of PClinuxOS
    (fd0) /dev/fd0
    (hd0) /dev/sda
    (hd1) /dev/sdb

here is menu.lst of PCLinuxOS
    timeout 4
    color black/cyan yellow/cyan
    gfxmenu (hd1,4)/usr/share/gfxboot/themes/pclinuxos/boot/message
    default 0

title linux
    kernel (hd1,4)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux root=/dev/sdb5 splash=silent vga=788
    initrd (hd1,4)/boot/initrd.img

title linux-nonfb
    kernel (hd1,4)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux-nonfb root=/dev/sdb5

title failsafe
    kernel (hd1,4)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=failsafe root=/dev/sdb5 failsafe

device.map for my Fed6 system also has hd1 in it but device.map for Suse does not.

I did not add hd1 to any device.map. However, when trying to solve last night I got a message about this drive not being associated to BIOS and after some searching I ran Grub --recheck, perhaps that did it?

nomadic

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    which distro's GRUB are you using right now? Fedora, SuSe or PCLinuxOS?
    GRUB looks for its own device.map and menu.lst files.

on selecting any title in GRUB menu, it executes command listed under that title.
    * if its kernal tag, it gives boot process control to kernel.
    * if its chainloader tag, it invokes boot loader stored in boot sector of chainloading partition and that boot loader take the charge.

Casper

Just Joined!
    Casper
    Hopefully I am understanding you correctly as my Linux technical know-how is on the light side.
    I can't remember which was the first linux distro installed - the one put into the MBR of sda and copied / installed into /boot of /data. It would have been prior to adding the second drive.
    What about the following? (essentially repeating the Whitely set-up for the first distro)
    1. Use Fed6 rescue disc to restore Grub into MBR of sda
    grub-install /dev/sda
    2. In Fedora, copy grub files from /boot/grub to /data/boot (sda6)
    cp /boot/grub/{stage1,stage2,menu.lst} /data/boot
    3. In Grub shell point grub at /data/boot
    install (hd0,5)/boot/stage1 d (hd0) (hd0,5)/boot/stage2
    hd0,5)/boot/menu.lst
    4. copy grub into Fed root partition (sda
    grub-install /dev/sda8

Would that get Grub sorted out for both drives?

nomadic

Just Joined!
    Casper
    problem does not seem to be device.map.

My fed6 device.map does have sdb in it
    fd0) /dev/fd0
    (hd0) /dev/sda
    (hd1) /dev/sdb

Using Fed6 rescue disk, I reinstalled grub in /dev/sda (MBR) and in Fed6 root partition /dev/sda8.
    I copied stage1/2/menu.lst from /boot/grub (Fed6 root partition) to /data/boot (dev/sda6).
    In Grub shell I "Installed" stage1/2/menu.lst to /data/boot (hd0,5)

I then installed PCLinuxOS again to /dev/sdb5. When I selected the root partition /dev/sdb5 for storing Grub, it came up with a new message.
    Said since I was putting Grub in the root partition it assumed I already had a bootloader installed and asked me to select which drive I was booting from. I selected sda. It completed without error.

When I tried to boot PCLinuxOS, I again got "GRUB" and nothing else.

PCLinuxOS device.map and menu.lst look fine. Fed6 device.map is fine. Grub in MBR should be fine since it came from Fed6.

Back to square 1

nomadic

first of all you installed Fedora's GRUB in MBR. you copied its config files ( /boot ) to another location and installed GRUB again in boot sector of sda8. you did the same with others distros.
    if you are not using external boot loader ( stored in Floppy/CD ) then there must be a oot Loader (GRUB/Lilo) installed in MBR and its files are stored somewhere in harddisk. GRUB in MBR invokes GRUB stored in boot sector of different partitions. i want to know which one and where is its configuration files stored.

when you switch on your machine, which distro's Boot Loader appaers? all distros uses different splashimages and you can recognize through it.

Casper

Just Joined!
    Casper
    before replying specifically to this:
    i again installed ubuntu. This time it allowed me to specify sdb6 as root partition and I put Grub in /dev/sdb6. Installation worked fine, no errors. However, same problem when I tried to boot - just "GRUB" and nothing else.

Re my boot method just in case there is any misunderstanding:
    I always use Grub. For the installation of the first distro only - once-off -
    i) i put Grub in the MBR.
    ii) i copy /boot/grub/stage1/2/menu.lst to /data/boot on a separate (data)
    partition
    iii) I point Grub at this data partition using grub's "install"
    iv) i install Grub in the root partition.
    v) i then edit boot/menu.lst in the data partition so that it has a
    chainloader entry for each distro.

On each subsequent installation, I just
    i) put grub in the root partition only
    ii) edit /boot/menu.lst in the data partition to chainload the new distro.

my understanding of how this works is that MBR calls /data/boot which calls grub in the relevant partition.

Re your question:
    At this stage I dont know which distro's Grub I originally put into MBR. the screen I get immediately after the DELL screen is just a list of chainload entries - I edited out anything I did not need. If I had to guess I would say it could be a Ubuntu screen - white type in a square with a black background.

However, have i not "refreshed" all of this by what I did earlier?
    I put Fed6 Grub (which is good) into MBR. I copied these into /data/boot again. I pointed Grub at /data/boot.

nomadic.

i again installed ubuntu. This time it allowed me to specify sdb6 as root partition and I put Grub in /dev/sdb6. Installation worked fine, no errors. However, same problem when I tried to boot - just "GRUB" and nothing else.
    if machine is displaying word 'GRUB' at stratup, it means, Ubuntu has installed its GRUB in MBR and it couldn't find its stages.

lets verify this first. unplug second disk and boot up. what does machine display? word GRUB or GRUB menu?

Casper

Just Joined!
    Casper
    with 2nd drive unplugged I booted and got exactly the same menu.lst as when drive was plugged in - list of chainloader entries from /data/boot/menu.lst

When I selected PCLinuxOS (on sdb5) I got Grub error 22 No such partition (obviously, drive was plugged out).

nomadic

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast