Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi am NEW to linux and I need to do dual boot I have partioned my hard drive one partion has xp and the other one is empty.. here is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile linux and fc-5

Hi am NEW to linux and I need to do dual boot I have partioned my hard drive one partion has xp and the other one is empty.. here is my question

I want to be able to install linux on the empty one. however anytime I do a search on dual boot or any other forum, everyone says ya you can just download grub and you should be able to . my problem is that I do not even now how to do that .. if any one can help well ( baby steps) so I can be able to install it and boot on either one will be helpfull.. as they say If I throw a coin in a wishing well, I at least want to hear a splash. If I did, I might throw another one.

Welcome to the forums and Linux.

Check this thread for installation tips.
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/red...ugs-fixes.html
    You don't need to download grub, it comes on the install CD's.
    Good luck and please post back with any questions/problems
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    here is what I saw

""Dual boot is DEFAULT. Leave this section as it is. GRUB ( boot loader ) will recognize Windows OS. ""

is that mean I don't have to wory about anything I should just run fc-5 and voila .. grub will be able to do the job automaticaly and I will have the option to choose wich os I can boot if I restart the pc .. Thanks for the reply

Yes, that is correct. There have been a few cases where grub doesn't get installed correctly but almost all of these problems have been addressed and fixed on this forum.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!

Unhappy

Hi mike ,

Thanks for the reply . I was able to download all 5 cd, now I have dell laptop 40 g hd . I did partion that about 8 gb and I used partion magic . the file system was partioned using ext2 .. however when I start the pc I do not see that partion . now I did put the fc-5 cd # 1 to see if it will find the partion and install fc-5 , but no luck .. I need help pls

Thanks

Fedora's default filesystem is ext3. i would suggest you not to create any partitions for Linux. delete 8GB partition and leave it as free/unpartitioned. during Fedora installation, select 'unpartitioned/free space for install' option in Partition Section. installer will create/format partitions for you.

however when I start the pc I do not see that partion . now I did put the fc-5 cd # 1 to see if it will find the partion and install fc-5 , but no luck .. I need help pls
    could you explain a bit more? Fedora Installer should recognize ext2 partition. does your machine boot up from FC5 CD1?

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    no it does not. I can hear it spining but will not reboot. in the bios it set the boot from HD first ..

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper
    Fedora's default filesystem is ext3. i would suggest you not to create any partitions for Linux. delete 8GB partition and leave it as free/unpartitioned. during Fedora installation, select 'unpartitioned/free space for install' option in Partition Section. installer will create/format partitions for you.

could you explain a bit more? Fedora Installer should recognize ext2 partition. does your machine boot up from FC5 CD1?

Casper

I will try that and let you know..Thanks

Just Joined!
    well I went and deleted that partition . now I have and 8 gb unpartioned but when I start my laptop.. it goes directly to windows... any idea

well I went and deleted that partition . now I have and 8 gb unpartioned but when I start my laptop.. it goes directly to windows... any idea
    set CD Drive as 'First Boot Device' in BIOS.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast