Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, i just installed FC6 last night on my toshiba laptop now i need drivers for my "nVidia Go 6600" to get those desktop effects, but i can not connect ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

install nvidia driver ?

Hi, i just installed FC6 last night on my toshiba laptop

now i need drivers for my "nVidia Go 6600" to get those desktop effects, but i can not connect to internet and download through yum.(no lan,wifi)
    (if i understood yum correctly it downloads updates and drivers)

I saw drivers on livna website, but there a too many packages which one should i get, is there a specific package for my card or all kmod-nvidiaxxyy will work.

any more information about how to install those drivers will be helpful, as i am only half day into linux,

ummm...with yum you would type yum install kmod-nvidia

Uhhh..I think all of them should work...

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    If you have a 32 bit system, then download the IA32 drivers from nvidia.com. If you are running a 64 bit version of Linux, then download the IA64 drivers.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jan1024188
    ummm...with yum you would type yum install kmod-nvidia

Uhhh..I think all of them should work...

thanks.. that sounds easy.
    i try the latest package then.

Just Joined!

problem...

at last, installed the drivers and i see the nvidia logo at start up.

but i am still unable to activate desktop effects

do i have to get the latest kernel or something? the installer asked me to update and then was "forced to use the existing kernel" because there was no connection...

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Desktop effects have nothing to do with the kernel, so don't tinker with your kernel. One thing I suspect is that the 3d effects are automatically disabled for nvidia users because when FC6 was released, the nvidia drivers did not support aiglx. This link may help you resolve your problems with the 3d stuff. Make sure you backup any configuration files before making any changes.

Just Joined!

yeah..

thank u for the link daark.child. i got it working.. now my desktop spins and windows wiggle

but the nvidia driver did install a new version of kernel and because of that i see two versions of fedora at boot along with windows.

next up intel 2915BG wireless drivers..

Quote Originally Posted by adnanmohd
    but the nvidia driver did install a new version of kernel and because of that i see two versions of fedora at boot along with windows.
    The Linux Nvidia driver does not install a new version of the kernel. What likely happened is when you installed the driver using yum, it noticed there was an updated kernel available and installed it then. The Nvidia driver is a kernel module that is compiled using your current working kernel source, so it *is* tied to the kernel; however it does not install a new kernel by itself.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

i suppose

i just saw two folders in modules and assumed it was two different versions.

anyways why does it show two fedora options at bootup.. is there a file where i can remove one of them. ( like boot.ini in windows)

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by adnanmohd
    i just saw two folders in modules and assumed it was two different versions.

anyways why does it show two fedora options at bootup.. is there a file where i can remove one of them. ( like boot.ini in windows)

thanks!
    I believe the file you're looking for is grub.conf, but I can't remember where it is. /boot/grub perhaps? I would recommend you not actually remove the extra boot option, but just comment it out. You never know when you might want to use it in the future.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast