Find the answer to your Linux question:
I currently use an ATI Radeon 7200 and want to replace it with a Radeon 9800 that I have kicking around...but I have tried swapping it and starting FC6 but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How does one uninstall an old video card?

I currently use an ATI Radeon 7200 and want to replace it with a Radeon 9800 that I have kicking around...but I have tried swapping it and starting FC6 but it freezes right before the login screen...do I have to uninstall the old driver, swap the cards and then let FC6 auto-detect? Currently I am using the radeon driver supplied by FC6. I don't want to re-install FC6 if possible.

hi tristeng !

Welcome to the LinuxFourms.

no need to re-install Fedora. swap video card and boot up Fedora in command line mode.
    n GRUB screen, select Fedora title and press 'e'. select 'kernel' line, press 'e' again and add <space> 3 at the end of line. press 'Enter' key and press 'b' to boot up. this will drop you on command line login prompt. log in as root and execute this command.
    Code:
     system-config-display
    configure display settings. excute 'startx' command and check if GUI works.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the speedy reply...had to wait to get home from work before I could try, but the system-config-display command freezes my computer...should I set my display adapter to default before taking the original card out?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    yes. set it to default generic driver "vesa".

Casper

Just Joined!
    Tried that and I can get the system-config-display to work, but it still thinks the radeon card is the 7200...and even when I set the radeon device on it froze up once I logged out and then back in. I even tried installing the ATI drivers but that didn't work either (I don't have the proper dependencies installed). Oh well, the ol' 7200 doesn't seem that bad afterall...

edit xorg.conf manually and set driver value to "vesa".
    as i mentioned earlier, its a generic driver and it will fix graphics. all ATI cards works with vesa driver.
    install ATI drivers of new card after that.
    Code:
    nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    this part in xorg.conf
    Code:
    Section "Device"
      identifier "ATI Video Card"
      boardname "xxxx"
      busid "PCI:1:0:0"
      driver "vesa"
      screen 0
    EndSection
    after editing xorg.conf, execute 'system-config-display' again.

Casper