Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey all. After letting my frustrations build up to a boiling point, I stepped out of my Linux self-education to calm down. Now that I've jumped back in, I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation "symbol errno" a complete mystery to me

Hey all. After letting my frustrations build up to a boiling point, I stepped out of my Linux self-education to calm down.

Now that I've jumped back in, I have made some progress in learning how to use the OS, but my ultimate goal (which is running an old program given to me by another person) is still out of reach.

I've managed to get FC6 to install, I can install the program (finally!), and I found the location of the file which launches the app. . .

When I tried launching, it said the app could not be launched. So I chmod +x on the file, and was able to launch, but now I get this error:

Code:
    ./janus.exe: relocation error: ./janus.exe: symbol errno, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference
    I've tried googling and searching these forums for a solution, but I've yet to fix this issue. Any help would be appreciated, and many thanks in advance.

Are you trying to run a windows executable? .exe file?
    You may need wine or cedega to do this.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    The file extension is .exe, but this program has always been associated with linux. The manual speaks only of linux installation and usage. All of the other files are compliant with linux (.script .sh).

This threw me off too, and I did notice that Wine would be an option, but why in the hell would someone go through the trouble to code this elaborate and important program and pack it with a windows binary? Everyone I talked to who knows about the program has also said it's always been Linux based.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Maybe it is using Mono .NET ?
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Everyone I talked to who knows about the program has also said it's always been Linux based
    Maybe you could get one of the people you talked to, to help you get it working?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply all. First, though the people I know confirm it is a Linux based app, they know nothing of Linux usage or the app usage. That's why they handed it off to me, to figure it out.

After scrolling through the hundreds of lines from the install log, I found out that new users were added to the system. Thinking what the hell, I tried logging on as one of the new users and was presented with an xterm window instead of Gnome desktop.

I can now call the Janus app, which leaves only the matter of learning how to use it, and figuring out a major FC6 problem (currently being hashed out in another forum). Thanks again for the help.