Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am a beginner to linux but know the basics to move around the file system fairly well. I am running CentOS 4.4 Server addition. I did a yum ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help setting up sshd

Hello,

I am a beginner to linux but know the basics to move around the file system fairly well. I am running CentOS 4.4 Server addition. I did a yum install sshd and every thing went smoothly. I then went to cd ../etc/init.d and verified the sshd was there. I then did a nano ssshd and looked through the file but did not change any thing.

I am trying to set my box up for remote management. I currently do not have a static public IP address and I am behind a firewalled router. Can any one assist me on how to setup the sshd so I can log into my box from work? Or can any one refer me to a good post that is already out there explaining this?

Linux Newbie
    I have a similar setup. Once you get sshd running, test it internally first that you are able to log in successfully to the box from another machine on the network. See /etc/ssh/sshd_config for how to change the port number that sshd is listening on. Have your NAT router redirect an incoming port to the sshd port on this internal machine. Preferably both these ports should be different from the default 22 just for extra obscurity. This setup will help you login from work if you know the IP address. Dont forget to specify the NAT outward facing port as the port number on your ssh client at work.

However, to make it even better, you can get a dynamic dns domain name for free from www.dyndns.org. They also list a number of dynamic dns clients you can run on your machine. (Most of these periodically find your external IP and update the dynamic DNS service with this IP for the DNS name you registered). I use something called ddclient.

With this setup you shud be able to access your box from work. Once you have ssh working, you may want to discover the ssh Tunneling that opens up more possibilities for you to access your machine or other machines in your network e.g. being able to use VNC or other services.

Just Joined!
    Ok, so all I would need a static public IP in order to do this? All I am wanting to do is use putty to log into my machine at home and just go all CLI, I do not have x windows running on the box.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by JPSnyder1985
    Ok, so all I would need a static public IP in order to do this? All I am wanting to do is use putty to log into my machine at home and just go all CLI, I do not have x windows running on the box.
    No, you do not need a static IP. Look into the dynamic DNS domain name as I have explanied in the previous post. You can have a static name being dynamically updated with your dynamic IP every time it changes or periodically.

Just Joined!
    Oh ok, that makes sense now. I will look into doing that. I posted something regarding setting up Samba is there any light you can shed on that for me? I appreciate the help