Find the answer to your Linux question:
It seems like I can't do a single thing properly using Linux.. I just want to install some software, so I did my research and learned how yum works and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Missing Dependencies Help

It seems like I can't do a single thing properly using Linux.. I just want to install some software, so I did my research and learned how yum works and the ease of just being able to type "yum install whatever" and have it work. Well first, I downloaded a bunch of rpms that interested me and tried to install them. Most of them wouldn't work because they wanted me to be online (I haven't gotten my wifi to work), so I wired my ethernet and tried again. It didn't work saying they were missing dependencies. So, I figured the only way to get new software and install it is to download it by putting the repository in the yum.conf etc. etc. Well I did that. Contacted ATrpms and Processed a lot of Dependencies (and I mean A LOT) via "yum update". Then I tried to install mplayer via "yum install mplayer". I got excited because I thought for once things were working because it started going through the motions. It installed for about 2 minutes when it told me Error: Missing Dependency on a number of objects.

I said, no problem. I'm starting to get the hang of this. I'll just do the yum update again and get those missing dependencies. I mean, thats what got it to start working.

So I did yum update, but it cuts before it finishes! It process a lot of rpms and gets as far as the PERL software dependencies when it cuts out and gives me Errors like autofs conflicts with kernel or Error: MIssing Dependency.

My question is: Is there any way I can skip the first hundred yum updates to get to the stuff I need? Or, what am I doing wrong?

Another question is: I managed to install a program I need called Panda3D, but when I managed to locate it in it's etc/share/blah blah blah folder, there was no launcher. This could be because it uses python and I'm very used to working with GUIs, but there are other programs I have that don't appear to have executables. How do I run my software? GIMP has a dektop item that launches it, why don't my other programs?

Things just aren't working out for me. I can't even get System/Administrator/Log In to come up for me to go into KDE instead of GNOME. I hate to bother you all with my problems, but I'm ready to give up trying to do this on my own.

Leon Syn,
    Get rid of the ATRPMS repo, it's nothing but trouble for you.
    It's a repo you shouldn't use unless you really know what you're doing. I would almost bet, all your depedency problems are because of this. The only repo you need is the ones issued with fedora, and livna.
    Import this key with
    rpm -ihv http://rpm.livna.org/RPM-LIVNA-GPG-KEY
    Remove ATRPMS
    yum update
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Banned
    As MikeTbob said, your problem is indeed very likely a result of mixing the wrong repos.
    While the Livna repo might work for some people, I don't like it eighter (it's just as incompatible with everything else as ATrpms).

I use FreshRPMS and Dries instead.

FreshRPMS:
    /etc/yum.repos.d/freshrpms.repo
    [freshrpms]
    name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Freshrpms
    #baseurl=http://ayo.freshrpms.net/fedora/linux/$releasever/$basearch/freshrpms/
    mirrorlist=http://ayo.freshrpms.net/fedora/linux/$releasever/mirrors-freshrpms
    enabled=1
    gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-freshrpms
    gpgcheck=1
    GPG key:
    rpm --import http://freshrpms.net/packages/RPM-GPG-KEY.txt

Dries:
    /etc/yum.repos.d/dries.repo
    [dries]
    name=Extra Fedora rpms dries - $releasever - $basearch
    baseurl=http://ftp.belnet.be/packages/dries.ulyssis.org/fedora/linux/$releasever/$basearch/dries/RPMS/
    enabled=1
    gpgcheck=1
    GPG key:
    rpm --import http://apt.sw.be/dries/RPM-GPG-KEY.dries.txt

As for ATrpms and and Livna, edit their /etc/yum.repos.d/ file and replace enabled=1 with enabled=0

If you'd still need something from ATrpms and/or Livna, you can still install it like this:
    #yum install --enablerepo=atrpms package_name
    or
    #yum install --enablerepo=livna package_name

I don't like the way yum handles dependencies (dupes should never be needed), so I personally use APT4RPM instead. SMART isn't bad either.
    #yum install apt synaptic
    #apt-get update

Synaptic is still the best GUI for any package manager.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob
    Leon Syn,
    Get rid of the ATRPMS repo, it's nothing but trouble for you.
    It's a repo you shouldn't use unless you really know what you're doing. I would almost bet, all your depedency problems are because of this. The only repo you need is the ones issued with fedora, and livna.
    Import this key with
    rpm -ihv http://rpm.livna.org/RPM-LIVNA-GPG-KEY
    Remove ATRPMS
    yum update
    I went to Livna to check what software they have and I already discovered one thing that was probably causing problems. Because I'm using a Playstation 3, I should be installing ppc programs, but instead, I think I was getting i386 and x86_64. Of course, this would mean that I'd be running into problems. The only reason I went to ATrpms first was because the Fedora Core 5 Bible I bought suggested it first.

I'm going to go ahead and do as you said. I'll get rid of ATrpms and try my luck with Livna. I'll be back soon to post my results. Thank you for your help.

Just Joined!
    Okay, I'm learning a lot. I just tried to yum install mplayer from freshrpms and I noticed something about the things its downloading for me and I noticed the same thing when Dries wasn't working for me. It seems as though it thinks I'm running Fedora 6 when I'm only running Core 5 2.6.16 and inputing "6" for $releasever. Why is it doing it wrong? I tried to manually put in 5 instead of $releasever to stop the confusion, but it didn't work. This must be why it's having these dependency problems. Just by looking at the files it's getting and seeing all the .fc6's, this is the conclusion I've come to.

So... should I go to 6 then? How much of a hassle is THAT going to be? Or could it be less of a hassle to have it recognize $releasever as Fedora Core 5 again? What a pain..

Go to the livna website again and download the correct key, for Fedora 5. I assumed you had FC6.
    And I don't know anything about running PS3 on Linux, but I do know YellowDog linux has a version built specifically for this purpose. Sorry for the confusion.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.