Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Guys I NEED YOUR SUGGESTIONS, TIPS & TRICKS. I am running my own Software Development Company. We use VS.NET 2005, VSS, MS SQL Server, MySql Server, Apache. Currently we ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Post Setting up Linux Server

Hi Guys

I NEED YOUR SUGGESTIONS, TIPS & TRICKS.

I am running my own Software Development Company. We use VS.NET 2005, VSS, MS SQL Server, MySql Server, Apache. Currently we are using Windows 2003 Standard Server with ADS. Now I am planning to switcg to FC5 Linux Server.

Till date my team including myself never work with Linux before. But now we want to shift to Open Source software as much as possible. We have already stared working with Open Office 2.1 and Gimp on testing basis.

Following is my project plan.

PROJECT OUTLINE:
    Setting up new Linux Server for Software Development team.

Server Requirements
    1.Linux (RHEL / Fedora Core)
    2.User Management with Permission Policies (LDPA)
    3.Database Server (MySql)
    4.Web Server (Apache + PHP + Python)
    5.Firewall + Proxy Server (with FTP access)
    6.File Server
    7.Web based groupware + Mail / Messaging + Task / Issue Manager
    8.Subversion
    9.Antivirus / Anti spy ware solution

Workstations (Total 15 Clients)
    1.Windows XP Profession(12) / Linux(3)

User Management
    User Groups /Websites /Public /Personal /CDROM /CVS /Documents
    Management Y Y Y Y Y Y
    Developer Y Y Y Y Y N
    Designer Y Y Y Y N N

Will this work?

PS. I just found Subversion is good Versioning Software works with APACHE.
    I have already started testing AnkhSVN

Linux User
    And ......
    Lol.

Really none of that is a problem for Linux.
    The one thing is if this is for a "company" I would spend the money and buy a version of RHEL and not Fedora. RHEL is supported and stable.
    The thing you want to concentrate on is the Hard Ware.You want a server with a a dual core CPU (2 would nice), 2 320G HD and RAID them, I would suggest a hardware RAID card instead of a software RAID, and at least 4G RAM ( 8 is better).
    Since you have everything on this server I would suggest the higher recommendations.
    Set up the server with LVM too, this way you can add additional drives as needed. Setting up LVM, has to be looked at very closely so you can expand at a later date when needed.

For access to the server for clients I would consider RealVNC to connect to the server, this is standard on Linux Distros and can be downloaded from the web for free for windows. There are other VNCs out there but this one works the best, at least for me.
    You can still keep the Windows server you have now and with your clients, Windows or LInux, you can still connect to that.
    Good Luck,
    Ski
    RHCT

Just Joined!

Thanks

Suggested Hardware is already approved. But we are not in a mood to continue with Windows server.

LVM suggestion is great.

But i didnt get you VNC point. Can u explain more about it?

We don't want to put dump termials (remeber most of the users are using VS.NET 2005)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    VNC is a way to log into the Linux server via GUI.
    So if you have a your people working on Windows boxes they open a VNC session to the Linux box and have a GUI view of it. From there they can open terminal sessions and other things if needed.
    Of course you need to setup there user rights on the Linux server.
    Do a google search on "VNC", that'll expolain it beeter and have pictures.
    Good Luck,
    Ski
    RHCT

Nxclient

You could also try the nxclient, works better than VNC, but not a thin client as VNC (easy options in nxclient to use thinclient sessions), works really well..there are both windows as well as linux version, worth giving a try..

Hmm....File server.. What type of disk size are you thinking ?? and it is ok to ask the purpose of using a file server for you..will update you on this,

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by deepakna
    You could also try the nxclient, works better than VNC, but not a thin client as VNC (easy options in nxclient to use thinclient sessions), works really well..there are both windows as well as linux version, worth giving a try..

Hmm....File server.. What type of disk size are you thinking ?? and it is ok to ask the purpose of using a file server for you..will update you on this,
    Yes Excellent! I fogot about this.
    And it is secure too with keys.
    Good Luck,
    Ski
    RHCT

Just Joined!
    Thanks for suggestion.

As I said eairlier we are setting up server for Software Development Team so mainly we are going to store Soure Code, Compiled Programs, Office work documents etc. not more than 20GB I am planning to by 36GB quantom SCSI with RAID controller (As my hardware eng. told me)

Just Joined!

I need to keep live this thread

I need to keep live this thread.

I need more suggestions for GURUs

Linux Newbie
    This will help you out..
    Unix, Linux tips...

Just Joined!

Thanks

This is really helpful