Find the answer to your Linux question:
Im new to linux, im in a couple classes in college for it, and really am anxious to start using it. whenever i begin installing, immediately after the white and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Core 6 installation freeze

Im new to linux, im in a couple classes in college for it, and really am anxious to start using it.
    whenever i begin installing, immediately after the white and black x shows up, i get a strange inch wide pixelized color streak across my monitor horizontally towards the top. at that point, nothing else happens. ive seen someone install fedora core 6, and at that particular point, assuming it didnt have graphical problems, it would be a menu. So i assume theres a graphical problem with my attempted installation.
    heres the info

im planning on installing to a separate harddrive from my windows xp hd
    im attempting to install from a burnt dvd image file for fedora core 6 i got from the fedora website
    everything up until that point works, (it checks my installation media dvd )
    im running on an amd 64 bit processor/ motherboard
    *my graphics card is the pcie geforce 7800gt <- i think thats where the issue is

could it be a simple graphical error, or is it deeper that that, and how do i get around it to be able to install linux on my system and get rid of xp?

thanks alot for whoever replies,
    nick b.

hi dewthedoo005 !

Welcome to the Linux Forums.

you are right. its graphics card problem and installer couldn't configure it properly. install Fedora in Text mode. type 'linux text' at boot: prompt.
    its easy to solve graphics problem later on. first of all install Fedora and do post back.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    thank you much, that did the trick.
    now that its installed, when i type startx, it loads a desktop window with clock, and if try to do anything, it streaks across the screen and freezes. I suppose i have to get a compatable nvidia driver for linux
    thanks again

fix graphics temporarily. log in as root and execute this
    Code:
    system-config-display
    configure display and resolutions. in case your Monitor is not listed in Monitors List, select "Generic" Monitor. execute 'startx'

if this doesn't work, you have to xorg.conf file manually.
    execute this
    Code:
    nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    look for Section "Device" 'Video Driver' and set driver value to "nv".
    Code:
    Section "Device"
      identifier "xxxx Video Card"
      boardname "xxx"
      busid "PCI:1:0:0"
      driver "nv"
      screen 0
    EndSection
    save file and execute 'startx'.

Casper

Just Joined!
    when i did this, and try to save, it says that /etc/x11/xorg.conf cannot be found

/etc/X11/xorg.conf
    its a capital X. Linux is case sensitive.

Casper