Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys I'm trying to setup a netork between my two home computers. both are connected to a network hub which has an uplink to my dsl modem, anyone know ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

networking help

Hey guys I'm trying to setup a netork between my two home computers. both are connected to a network hub which has an uplink to my dsl modem, anyone know where I could find a good dummy proof how-to on this. LINUX newb here. looked all over but cant seem to find what i'm looking for. help?? somebody got a link???

Just Joined!

any1?

I've been looking at setting up nfs but that just doesn't seem like that's what I want. I just want to be able to open up the network in nautilus or konqueror and be able to browse the files on my other box with read/write privelages and share a printer

Are your systems running all on linux or is there a windows box in your network? If you have a windows machine, take a look at "samba".

To share your printer, I think you can use CUPS. Correct me if I'm wrong.

NFS is for sharing files between linux machines.

It is not clear what you are trying to do with your network. Please be more specific with what you are trying to do and post it right here

Hope this helps.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Yes both systems are running linux, fc6 on one and mandriva 2007 on the other. I need to configure NFS to share files between the two. can't seem to get it going though. seems odd to me that both systems have the same ip address?? I believe CUPS can do network printers but I can't seem to get it configured right. <------LINUX NEWB!! but I just need to get all this stuff figured out so I never have to look back at winbloze

First you need to make sure that you DON'T have the same IP adress for your computers... You can have one external IP adress, but you need NAT (through a commercial router or a linux/bsd machine). Try :

$ ifconfig

On each machine and make sure you have different inet values. You'll get something like "rl0 inet 192.168.0.100 netmask 255.255.255.0".

Just Joined!
    okay no they are different, whatsmyip.com told me they were both the same so the number that ifconfig reports is the number I need to use to set up NFS? and also once I have each computer setup for client and server will automount pick up on these NFS Shares and put them in my network folder?

Yes, use the private LAN IPs that ifconfig shows you for your NFS shares.

I don't know about automount, but you should be able to mount it at boot with /etc/fstab. Edit that file and add the line you need in order to mount your NFS shares.

Hope this helps.