Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I bet this is about the 1,000,000,000 newbie needing help post you have seen! Please help me anyhow. I searched through the forums for a possible identical issue ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

New to Linux, an installation error.

Hello all, I bet this is about the 1,000,000,000 newbie needing help post you have seen! Please help me anyhow. I searched through the forums for a possible identical issue and did not locate an answer so I am here.

I have recently decided to broaden my knowledge from Microsoft to Linux distributions. I am currently doing this on my own via CBTs and books. Most of the products I am using are Fedora based so I have started there.

So far I have learned alot but I have gotten to the point past the history and FHS educational material to more hands on and ready to test the waters!

Here is the issue:

Upon installing Fedora right after recieving the message where it probed for my video card which it did find and attempts to load the graphical Anaconda the screen is a scrambled mainly white image. I can see a cursor and can move it, I am unable to see anything though. Appears similar to the image you would see if you remember the old TVs where you had to adjust the picture by hand in the back of the TV set.

I think it only needs to be adjusted but that is only my assessment. You guys may have seen this error before. I was hoping for a easy ride for my first time but it looks like I am going to have to get my hands dirty early into this battle. My hardware specs are listed below and thank you for any assistance you may be able to give. Remember, I am a little older so go slow with me.

Motherboard: A8N-E Asus
    Video Card: Nvidia Geforce 7800 GT
    Ram: DDR 300 2GB
    Hard Drive: WDC WC3200 320GB
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3500+
    Sound Card: Intergrated Realtek AC'97
    NIC: Intergrated Nvidia NForce Networking Controller

hi mokfarg !!

Welcome to the LinuxForums.

Fedora Installer is not configuring your Graphics Card properly. Install Fedora in Text Mode. type 'linux text' at boot: prompt.
    after installation, log in as root and execute 'system-config-display' to configure display settings. you have to install nvidia drivers too.
    first of all, install Fedora and fix graphics temporarily.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mokfarg
    Hello all, I bet this is about the 1,000,000,000 newbie needing help post you have seen! Please help me anyhow. I searched through the forums for a possible identical issue and did not locate an answer so I am here.
    Yeah the searching on here sucks.... It brings back everything..nothing relative.
    I have recently decided to broaden my knowledge from Microsoft to Linux distributions. I am currently doing this on my own via CBTs and books. Most of the products I am using are Fedora based so I have started there.
    Good choice, I started there too, well... back in the days of Redhat 8
    So far I have learned alot but I have gotten to the point past the history and FHS educational material to more hands on and ready to test the waters!
    Good plan
    Here is the issue:

Upon installing Fedora right after recieving the message where it probed for my video card which it did find and attempts to load the graphical Anaconda the screen is a scrambled mainly white image. I can see a cursor and can move it, I am unable to see anything though. Appears similar to the image you would see if you remember the old TVs where you had to adjust the picture by hand in the back of the TV set.

I think it only needs to be adjusted but that is only my assessment. You guys may have seen this error before. I was hoping for a easy ride for my first time but it looks like I am going to have to get my hands dirty early into this battle. My hardware specs are listed below and thank you for any assistance you may be able to give. Remember, I am a little older so go slow with me.
    Hmm, by chance do you have a CRT. It sounds to me like the frequencies are wrong. Luckily this can be edited later. Do as casper says and do linux text. Or hit one of the function keys that allow you to change the resolution. Bring it down a few, to something pretty low just to test..
    The ncurses anaconda version is not very hard to use anyway, and as was said, you can always fix the text based thing later on.
    Have you googled your display with linux or on http://google.com/linux ?
    Nvidia cards are pretty well recognised, so you are lucky, there are thousands stuck with ATI's with no support for 3d

Just Joined!
    Thank you guys and thanks for the welcome! I will try the steps you have said and report back with the results.

Edit: Yes I do have a CRT Monitor, Samsung SyncMaster997DF. Didn't occur to me to verify the CRT Monitor with Linux. I will try to replace the monitor with a spare LCD I have laying around to see those results as well first.

Just Joined!
    I am back after attempting the previous suggestions.

1st: I attempted the try a different monitor which was a LCD.

Results: Same issue as above during installing. Right after Anaconda began the load process it went to a white screen with a scrambled line across.

2nd: Installed Fedora 6 x86_64 via text mode fine. I then attempted to configure the video via command system-config-display.

Results: Upon executing the command I recieved the same white screen as previously with the scrambled line across.

3rd: I noticed in a recent thread it looks like another individual is having a similar issue as me and took Casper's advice there. I used the text editor nano to attempt to edit the xorg.conf file.

Results: Under the section Video Drivers, I verified that "nv" was present in the Drive line. Did not edit anything closed nano.

I hope I have layed out all information coherently and we can troubleshoot further!

execute 'system-config-display' command again and select 'Generic' Monitor in Monitors List. execute 'startx'.
    if it doesn't work, check Monitors Manual for supported HorizSync and VertiRefresh rates. open xorg.conf file using 'nano' and edit Refresh rates.

Casper

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper
    execute 'system-config-display' command again and select 'Generic' Monitor in Monitors List. execute 'startx'.
    if it doesn't work, check Monitors Manual for supported HorizSync and VertiRefresh rates. open xorg.conf file using 'nano' and edit Refresh rates.

Casper
    I will try to edit the refresh rates and report back to you. I am unfortunately unable to do anything after executing 'system-config-display'. As soon as I exectute the screen goes white with a scrambled line across. All I can do is move a cursor but can not see anything.

Just Joined!

Display saga continues.

Thank you for your patience so far. I did not see a configuration entry to change refresh rates in the xorg.conf file. This is what the xorg.conf file contained under the "Screen" and "Device" sections:

Code:
    Section  "Device"
    Identifier "Videocard0"
    Driver "nv"

Section "Screen"

Identifier "Screen0"
    Device    "Videocard0"
    Default Depth   24

Subsection "Display"

Viewport  0  0
    Depth       24

I did also attempt to execute the 'system-config-display' command a second time with same results. I can move the cursor but the screen is white with a small scrambled line across. Again thank you for your help so far.

okk ! edit xorg.conf file.
    add this before Section Screen
    Code:
    Section "Monitor"
      identifier "Monitor0"
      modelname "xxxxx"
      HorizSync 30-60
      VertRefresh 60-79
    EndSection
    add resolutions in Section "Display"
    Code:
    Subsection "Display"
               Viewport  0  0
               Depth       24
               Modes    "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection
    save file and try 'startx' or 'sytem-config-display' again.

Casper

Just Joined!
    Posting back to say thank you for the assistance. A friend of mine that works at Red Hat had time to come by and fix the issue. He ended up downloading and installing the nvidia module. He found it odd that my nvidia card was not working with the default nvidia driver. I may not have worded all that correctly but I didn't understand hardly anything he was doing. I hope to soon though!

Just wanted to let you know I am on my linux machine now! Thanks a lot guys, I hope I haven't used up all my free "get out of linux issues" passes yet.