Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey all, I'm new to linux and installed FC6 lastnight on my Averatec 2155 laptop and everything was going great. right after the inital install I installed the large list ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

FC6 Add\Remove Software problem

Hey all,

I'm new to linux and installed FC6 lastnight on my Averatec 2155 laptop and everything was going great. right after the inital install I installed the large list of software updates that were available and the packages installed with out any errors. I rebooted as suggested but now when I go in to Add\Remove software i get the following message.

"another application is running which is accessing the software application"

All i can do is click on OK and the add\remove windows goes away.

Any idea what is accessing the software application and how to get it to stop. It's like this anytime i go to add\remove software, from as soon as it boots to giving it 30min to allow whatever program do its thing.

Thanks in advance for you assistance.

Casey.

Banned
    Fedora uses an annoying auto update tool (based on yum) when you log in GNOME/KDE.
    This is even more annoying with a fresh install since the many new updates will take a very long time.

Just do the updates before you log in GNOME/KDE (when you see GDM, your graphical login screen).
    *press ctrl-alt-F3
    *type: yum update

Quote Originally Posted by Casey242
    Any idea what is accessing the software application and how to get it to stop. It's like this anytime i go to add\remove software, from as soon as it boots to giving it 30min to allow whatever program do its thing.
    as already suggested by jens, its Fedora's auto updater. you have to stop it before using Add/Remove. press Ctrl+Esc and look for 'yum-updatesd' process. kill it.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First