Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, My fedora core system is running unusually slow, it has about 300 domains on it usaually a box like this takes 1000 domains really comfortably what do you think ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

my fedora system running unusually slow

Hi,
    My fedora core system is running unusually slow, it has about 300 domains on it usaually a box like this takes 1000 domains really comfortably what do you think could be the problem.
    Regards
    Linux_unlimited

Linux Enthusiast apoorv_khurasia's Avatar
    domains??? I have absolutely no idea what domains on a system mean (I hope they are not the server domains).

Meanwhile, any system can run slow due to multiple reasons --slow hardware, unnneccessary services running on your box etc. Depending upon what you use your box for you might consider shutting down some "useless" services. As an example, a normal desktop user can safely shut down server processes like ssh, telnet, rpc (and its children like nfsd etc), cups etc.

In case you have hardware limitations you can go on for using a light weight window manager such as fluxbox or windowmaker. Or if they sound too abstract to you, try disabling some eye candy features on GNOME/KDE. You can also increase the poll time for plug n play devices (like automount usbs etc).

I hope this helps you. In case you need more clarifications please feel free to ask.
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike
    Registered Linux User: 400426 home page

Just Joined!
    Hi,
    by domains i mean i have that many websites hosted on them, can you tell me what is the optimum load on a system

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast apoorv_khurasia's Avatar

System Specs needed

Hi

It depends on your system specs. I happen to be the system admin for my univs mainframe. Look at this uptime and load as an example.
    Code:
    15:26:22 up 105 days,  8:42,  3 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.00
    We here follow one server (and only one domain) per machine policy (ftp service, ssh service, http service, nfs etc are maintained by seperate machines). I believe that for running 300 different domains on a single machine is going to slow down the server appreciably. It shall however depend on your system specs. You should have a lot of RAM available and some rock soild OS on the top of it (e.g. Solaris or BSD or a very very finely tuned Linux) to begin with.
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike
    Registered Linux User: 400426 home page