Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I've been trying different distros of linux these days and found that Fedora Core 6 and Mandriva Free 2007 were the most comprehensive ones. I understand very well that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Help! I need some encouragement!

Hello,

I've been trying different distros of linux these days and found that Fedora Core 6 and Mandriva Free 2007 were the most comprehensive ones.

I understand very well that all those are just community-driven and free of charge so I should demand too much from them.

But here I just wanna ask a very simple question, how can I get Linux OSes to work as well as Windows? I mean.. all those hardware, driver, plug-in issues made me spent many days to solve them before i can actually start to use the OS..
    And where should I go to find Linux software to download?

In fact, I've been tired of Windows' style of operation and really want to join the Linux camp. However, things are just too complicated for a newbie like me...

Hope that you guys can really give me some good and encouraging advice or suggestions.. Thanks...

oz
    forum.guy
    Just keep in mind that Windows and Linux are different, so there is a learning curve.

I'd suggest you keep trying other distros, and you'll learn more about Linux as you experiment with them. Sooner or later, you'll come across a distro that just works for you and you'll be on your way...

oz
    oz

It is true that making some hardware work with linux can be a frustrating experience, but, in my opinion, this is more than compensated for by all the other benefits of linux.

I agree with ozar -- keep trying different distributions (I'd recommend SuSE or Ubuntu for hardware compatibility) until you find one you like. And remember that linux works in a very different way from windows, so even if you were a windows expert, you will have a lot to learn with linux. Perservere and you will find that it was worth it!

Good luck.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    the first thing you should focus on familiarizing yourself with is the package handler for those distributions. for fedora core this is yum, for mandriva this is urpmi. These will automatically download and install any software you can find in the repositories. for yum open the console and type yum install "package-name" or yum search "package-name" for mandriva these commands are a bit different. urpmi "package-name" installs software urpme "package-name" removes software urpme "package-name" gives search info. Hope this helps good luck with dumping windows, I'm still on that road myself lol. Just got back into linux a couple weeks ago though.

oz
    forum.guy
    In addition to what I said above... you might find that if you go back to Windows you'll return to Linux sooner, or later. It's happened to many current Linux users, myself included!
    oz

Just Joined!
    1st of all, thanks for all of your quick replies...

i've tried FC6, mandriva 2007, and ubuntu recently..

And i found myself loving mandriva more because it detects all my hardware and has a better collection of software applications.. ubuntu recognizes hardware pieces well, however, it has significantly less applications to come along..

FC6 is just... too 'manual' to use... doesn't recognize my printer, nor does it support mp3s, and other codecs.. to me, FC6 is too complicated and requires too much work before i can start.. is my perception right? correct me if i'm wrong.

i've tried SuSE and Freespire too, however, both of them can't be installed, no matter through DVD-ROM or through harddisk image.. I don't know why, but, it's really a bad news for me as I really wanna try out SuSE..

Anyway, which distro will u recommend for a newbie?

Oh by the way.. I'm recently not satisfied with Mandriva's fonts actually.. I usually read tradition chinese but they are so....ugly and looks like scattered.. I've tried installing some other font types from my CD, however, I dunno where to tell the OS to use those fonts..

Just Joined!
    Lots of ex-windoz-ers Myself included, althought I use both do to work.

Keep on trying to get SuSe installed, I liked it and it sounds like it might be the best option for you from your comments. Although I use Red Hat mostly for work and it forces me to learn.

Sometimes getting the iso's burned to CD can be a pain. A site I like and use to build up a pretty complete library of distros is the Linux CD Mall http://www.linuxcdmall.com/ price is fair and it's saves lots of frustration on DLing and burning CD No association, just like the service I've gotten from them in getting distros.

Good luck

Just Joined!
    Hi all!

Thanks for all of your replies after several times of trying, I've decided to start my life with openSUSE 10.2!

If you have time, please read the thread below, I'm encountering some problems with RMVB and MOV files playback at this moment.
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/sus...se-10-2-a.html

Once again, thanks!