Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi all! i created a dual boot with fedora core 3 and windows xp prof sp2, installing the two os on different partitions, (win xp on fat32) installing windows first. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fedora Core 3/Win XP dual boot startup problem

hi all! i created a dual boot with fedora core 3 and windows xp prof sp2, installing the two os on different partitions, (win xp on fat32) installing windows first. Now i'm facing problem at startup when after switching-on the system, after bios screen, there comes grub prompt. i'm new to linux/fedora, so no way out situation for me now. i tried booting/rebooting, but results same. with cd-rom reboot the screen gpes black and thats it........

what is probably the problem....how should i proceed.

Note: i have run the fedora twice after successful install, then i changed my monitor and the above situation was faced.

Just Joined!
    I'm kind of a linux newb but if you get a console log in as root and type system-config-display --reconfig
    Hope this helps
    FriedChips

hi sehgal !

Welcome to the LinuxForums.

Quote Originally Posted by sehgal
    Note: i have run the fedora twice after successful install, then i changed my monitor and the above situation was faced.
    in GRUB screen, select Fedora title and press 'e'. select 'kernel' line, press 'e' again and add <space> 3 at the end of line. press 'Enter' key and press 'b' to boot up. this will drop you on command line login prompt. log in as root and execute this
    Code:
     system-config-display
    configure display and resolutions again. execute 'startx' to check GUI.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Fedora Core 3/Win XP dual boot startup problem

Hi Sir!!!
    Its not the GRUB GUI that appears after bios and offers edit etc, its grub prompt like dos prompt:

grub>

which allows only limited commands e.g boot, reboot etc. i tried almost all commands (which were listed by help command) but no success. it seems like graphics/video problem but apparently i'm not able to fix it.

please ease me out.....

it means some other configuration files have been changed. Monitor change doesn't affect GRUB's funtionality.
    boot up from Fedora Installation CD/DVD and type 'linux rescue' at boot: prompt. hit Enter key. this will drop you at shell prompt after a while.
    execute this
    Code:
    chroot /mnt/sysimage
    grub-install /dev/hda
    press ctrl+D two times and machine will reboot. eject installation CD and check if GRUB menu appears.

in case it doesn't work, execute these commands after 'chroot' command
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    less /boot/grub/grub.conf
    post output here.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First