Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi im new to linux . Im using 2.6.19 version. I tried compiling Linux version 2.6.18.2 from the following page http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_fedora_p2 . But after the Compilation was done i tried ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

After compiling Fedora 2.6.18.2 and rebooting getting an error message

Hi im new to linux . Im using 2.6.19 version. I tried compiling Linux version 2.6.18.2 from the following page
    http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_fedora_p2.

But after the Compilation was done i tried rebooting the PC and when i chose Fedora core 2.6.18.2 i got the following error messages :

Unable to access resume device
    mount - could not find filesystem /dev/root
    moving /dev failed : no such filesystem
    setup root : error mounting /proc : no such filesystem
    setup root : error mounting /sys : no such filesystem
    switch root : mount failed : no such file or directory
    Kernel panic : not syncing : Attempting to kill init

Kindly help me out. Thanks in advance.

You definetly did something wrong but I am not sure what. I think you might have left out the option for filesystem support, when you recompiled your kernel. Do you remember which options you changed? Did you build things as modules instead of into the kernel?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!

The Build link in 2.6.18.2 is broken

Still getting the same problem . Since im new to linux i just followed the steps mentioned in the link http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_fedora_p2 . I didnt modify anythig in make menuconfig step. But when i created a link using ln -s linux-2.6.18.2 linux i found that the linux-2.6.18.2 inside linux folder link was broken. IS the problem because of that or is 2.6.18.2 inherently has some problem.Im trying to recompile 2.6.18.2 when im using 2.6.19.(advanced version than 2.6.18.2) version by "load an Alternate configuration file" (in the make menuconfig step) which contains my current configuration provided by 2.6.19.

thanks in Advance

It could be because of the broken link.
    You could try doing it with the same link I have used before, which worked for me.
    It say FC4 but the proccess is the same.
    http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-kernel-fc4.html
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!

Still getting the same error

Thanks for giving me the link.I used the link provided by you and compiled the 2.6.18.2 and 2.6.18.6 but still getting the same error. Probaby im doing some mistake in the file system configuration in the make menumenuconfig step. Also im using AMD 64 bit Turion processor . Probably the error is because of that.

Just Joined!

Got it thank you

I just added pci=nommconf all-generic-ide in the grub.conf file . It booted properly. But im not sure what these parameters actually does

Thank you

But im not sure what these parameters actually does
    we call this parameter as 'magic string'. it disables the MMCONFIG PCI configuration space access method, which forces the kernel back to PCI type 1 configuration accesses. MMCONFIG access method appears to be severely broken on a number of systems. NVIDIA Linux graphics driver can't reliably access the PCI configuration space of NVIDIA devices, which results in various stability problems, particularly if multi-core CPUs are used with multiple GPUs.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First