Find the answer to your Linux question:
Couldn't display smb://linuxbox2/ because no host linuxbox2 could be found. Check that the spelling is correct and that your proxy settings are correct. That is the error message from on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Samba-Networking Guru Needed!!!

• Couldn't display smb://linuxbox2/ because no host linuxbox2 could be found. Check that the spelling is correct and that your proxy settings are correct.

That is the error message from on one Linux machine when it tries to access the files on another Linux box on the LAN. Both are running RH9. directing the Mozilla browser to http://linuxbox2/ accesses the default apache page on linuxbox2.

There is no problem accessing the samba shared directories on linuxbox1 from linuxbox2. Windows machines on the LAN can see and access the samba shared directories on lunixbox1, but they cannot see linuxbox2.

I've looked at the documentation, searched the forum, and searched the Internet all without success. I expect it is something really simple, but I cannot find it. I looked at smb.conf files on both computers and there were no differences between the two files, and neither linuxbox1 nor linuxbox2 have proxies enabled in the httpd.conf file

I've spent two days on this and need and would greatly appreciate some help.

Can you ping linuxbox2?
    Is a firewall Interfering, what about SELinux?
    Try unhooking the Internet to linuxbox1, change the IP of linuxbox2 to linuxbox1 and see if Windows can connect then.
    I agree, it's probably something trivial that you overlooked.
    EDIT: keep in mind, I am no Guru of any kind and I have trouble connecting my own WINXP to Linux sometimes.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob
    Can you ping linuxbox2?
    Yes

Is a firewall Interfering, what about SELinux?
    No problem to both.

Try unhooking the Internet to linuxbox1, change the IP of linuxbox2 to linuxbox1 and see if Windows can connect then.
    Good idea, but it did not help. No problem pinging original IP address of 192.168.1.24 or pinging new IP address of 192.168.1.22, but could not ping it using linuxbox2 with either IP. I can, however, ping linuxbox1 using either linuxbox1 or its IP address of 192.168.1.22. I've checked all of the files I can think of that might be a problem and they are identical between the two boxes except for the name of the box and its IP address.

I'll take a closer look at the firewall and wrappers and see if the problem lies there.

I agree, it's probably something trivial that you overlooked.
    Thanks, I needed some encouragement.

EDIT: keep in mind, I am no Guru of any kind and I have trouble connecting my own WINXP to Linux sometimes.
    Not a problem. Every little bit helps!

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by photowriters
    Good idea, but it did not help. No problem pinging original IP address of 192.168.1.24 or pinging new IP address of 192.168.1.22, but could not ping it using linuxbox2 with either IP. I can, however, ping linuxbox1 using either linuxbox1 or its IP address of 192.168.1.22.
    Sounds like a DNS resolving issue. Is linuxbox2 even in your DNS server's db just like linuxbox1 is?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by nikunjb
    Sounds like a DNS resolving issue. Is linuxbox2 even in your DNS server's db just like linuxbox1 is?
    Yep! (Any other ideas?)

Linux Newbie
    Well then. Why is it not resolving the hostname? You can ping using its IP but not its name tells me there is some issue with your DNS setup.