Find the answer to your Linux question:
Results 1 to 7 of 7
I have Toshiba Satellite L30 115 laptop. Linux redhat 9 does not recognize my hard disk. Kindly suggest which Latest Redhat version or Fedora Version can be installed on my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    110
    110 is offline
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1

    SATA compatible Linux Distribution ??


    I have Toshiba Satellite L30 115 laptop. Linux redhat 9 does not recognize my hard disk. Kindly suggest which Latest Redhat version or Fedora Version can be installed on my machine. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    6
    Redhat 9 is very, very old, however I do believe 9 was the last version that was distributed without a fee. That being the case, unless you want to cough up some money for Red Hat Enterprise, download the latest stable Fedora release (version 6 as of right now). Most (somewhat recent) distributions will have support for sata drives.

  3. #3
    Linux Guru techieMoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    9,496
    Quote Originally Posted by mdelorme
    Redhat 9 is very, very old, however I do believe 9 was the last version that was distributed without a fee. That being the case, unless you want to cough up some money for Red Hat Enterprise, download the latest stable Fedora release (version 6 as of right now). Most (somewhat recent) distributions will have support for sata drives.
    That's not necessarily true. You can still download Redhat Enterprise for free, it's just not called RHEL. It's called CentOS and it's just Redhat Enterprise with all the Redhat logos stripped out of it.

    You are correct, however, all the latest versions of Linux I've tried worked fine with SATA drives. To keep up on what's the latest version I recommend looking at DistroWatch. They have a page for each individual distribution that shows what the latest release is and where to download it.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

  4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
  5. #4
    Linux Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    609
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    That's not necessarily true. You can still download Redhat Enterprise for free, it's just not called RHEL. It's called CentOS and it's just Redhat Enterprise with all the Redhat logos stripped out of it.
    Mind you, it is based on RHEL, but not released by Red Hat !!!

    CentOS had a community of it's own, including support.
    It is a standalone product, not related to Red Hat (well, except for the source files)

  6. #5
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Loveland, Colorado
    Posts
    18
    Yeah i have Fedora 6 and it works perfectly fine with my sata drives

  7. #6
    Linux Guru techieMoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    9,496
    Quote Originally Posted by Redman
    Mind you, it is based on RHEL, but not released by Red Hat !!!

    CentOS had a community of it's own, including support.
    It is a standalone product, not related to Red Hat (well, except for the source files)
    That is true. I didn't mean to imply in my original post that CentOS was RHEL... just that since they are compiled from the same source code they're functionally identical. Thanks for the clarification.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

  8. #7
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    26
    just for confirmation , i have FC6 running on me desktop has Raid Stripe 0 , with VT8237 chipset, without any problems.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •