Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi folks, I have a fax machine that allows me to send the faxes via email. When I have the email address of the person I want to send a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Authenticated SMTP

Hi folks,
    I have a fax machine that allows me to send the faxes via email. When I have the email address of the person I want to send a fax, I can give the fax machine that email address and rather sending the fax in the regular way, it scans the document, convert it to .pdf and sends it through email.
    The problem now is that I switched to another internet provider, and they block the port 25 (SMTP). I can use only their SMTP server, but I need to authenticate with a user name and a password. I have no idea how to do that.
    Can anyone help me?
    Thank you,

Sergio

Linux Newbie
    What does this have to do with RedHat/Fedora or even Linux? And does not your fax machine's documentation provide any help about how to set it up for smtp servers requiring user/pass?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by nikunjb
    What does this have to do with RedHat/Fedora or even Linux? And does not your fax machine's documentation provide any help about how to set it up for smtp servers requiring user/pass?
    The fax machine does not allow using user/pass combination. It can work only with plain smtp.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by sergiojuan
    The fax machine does not allow using user/pass combination. It can work only with plain smtp.
    I want to use a linux to relay does emails.

Many ISPs block port 25. However, a good many if you contact their technical support can unblock it if you let them know why you need it. Some times, you have to ask for a senior technician after the first tech says no. Note: you are more likely to get them to remove it on a business grade DSL line.

I personally have gotten it done several times.

Good Luck,
    Pepperfan

BTW: does the fax machine run Linux? Sorry I couldn't resist.

Just Joined!
    I don't know if it runs linux. It's a Canon Laser Class 730i. I called their tech support and they told me the machine does not do authenticated smtp.

I ran in to the exact same problem not too long ago. What you have to do is set up a smtp server. simple. I wasn't using Linux much at the time so I setup something called PostCast Server. Just be sure to set your security settings so that you don't end up as a Spammer of mammoth proportions! you can even set it to only accept connections for local computers and devices. Note I would hesitate to do this if you are not behind a firewall and don't have good antivirus and spyware protection.

I am sure it must be even easier and better from Linux. I just haven't done the research.

Pepperfan