Previously my windows machine died (a separate machine) and I was unable to shut it down properly before this happened. And I'm attempting to backup my data from my windows drive.

I'm using centos 4.

I found this thread, tried the yum installations and it didn't work becuase I have fedora 4: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/red...ght=mount+ntfs

I installed the latest fuse and and ntfs-3g. Followed the instructions (didn't see any errors). Now when I attempted to mount my drive /dev/sdb1:

mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdb1 /mnt/ntfs_p
Code:
FATAL: Error inserting fuse (/lib/modules/2.6.9-42.0.8.EL/kernel/fs/fuse/fuse.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
$LogFile indicates unclean shutdown (0, 0)
Failed to mount '/dev/sdb1': Operation not supported
Mount is denied because NTFS logfile is unclean. Choose one action:
   Boot Windows and shutdown it cleanly, or if you have a removable
   device then click the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon in the Windows
   taskbar notification area before disconnecting it.
Or
   Run 'ntfsfix' on Linux unless you have Vista, then mount NTFS with
   the 'force' option read-write, or with the 'ro' option read-only.
Or
   Mount the NTFS volume with the 'ro' option in read-only mode.
I attempted to mount with read-only (because that's all I really need to do).

mount -o ro -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdb1 /mnt/ntfs_p
Code:
FATAL: Error inserting fuse (/lib/modules/2.6.9-42.0.8.EL/kernel/fs/fuse/fuse.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
fusermount: fuse device not found, try 'modprobe fuse' first
FUSE mount point creation error: No such file or directory
Unmounting /dev/sdb1 (Local Disk)
Tried modprobe fuse
Code:
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.9-42.0.8.EL/kernel/fs/fuse/fuse.ko
Went back to the fuse website and tried out to run their simple example with:

./hello /tmp/fuse -d
Code:
fusermount: fuse device not found, try 'modprobe fuse' first
I contemplated running ntfsfix, but I read that they may be a chance of losing data so I decided to get some much needed help here.

Please help, I don't know what I should do next. Also, (just a thought) if I take my ntfs drive over to a friends machine (as a secondary hd), have him boot up and shut down properly, would this possibly fix the problem I'm having?

Many thanks for any help.