Find the answer to your Linux question:
Someone has by mistake deleted my /etc/passwd file and also my /etc/shadow file(The guy didnt know what he is doing). How an i get the system back in a running ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Smile Recovering Linux

Someone has by mistake deleted my /etc/passwd file and also my /etc/shadow file(The guy didnt know what he is doing). How an i get the system back in a running condition ? Thnx in advance.

Thankfully, never been in that situation, so I'm not even sure if you'll be able to get to single-user mode. If you can, good; if you can't you'll need a live cd.

You can probably copy the stock /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files from the installation cds (I think). After doing so, delete the entire hash for root so that you can at least log in when the machine boots - with a blank password. Change it right away. You're going to have to recreate all your users.

Make that guy sit in the corner for a long time. (Why in the world did you give him root access?)

Just Joined!

recovering linux passwd and shadow files

Hi,
    No need of live cd ..just boot into the runlevel 1.
    check by default u will have shadow- and passwd- files these are the backup files of passwd and shadow.
    copy them.
    cp /etc/shadow- /etc/shadow
    cp /etc/passwd- /etc/passwd

if u cannot find them; (shadow- and passwd-)
    use command "pwconf" or "authconfig" this will create the shadow and passwd files to you.

sandro