Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
hi all...sorry for troubling you guys with my noob questions. unfortunately, i always came across problems while exploring linux here is my situation... im able to clone my 1st hard ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cloning problem

hi all...sorry for troubling you guys with my noob questions. unfortunately, i always came across problems while exploring linux

here is my situation... im able to clone my 1st hard disk to the 2nd one using g4u (ghost program recommended by forumers here).for the first week, the 2nd hard disk running well however, yesterday...it seems that the 2nd hard disk is going crazy. it cant boot perfectly, means that im unable to enter to text mode or graphical mode. but when i insert the 2nd hard disk into the old system, it run well. previously, the only problem with the 2nd hard disk is the graphic cards driver and i just ignore it as i still exploring linux through text mode. what could be the problem?

im hope that i stated my problem clearly. thanx in advance!

which graphics card do you have? what the output of 'startx' command? does 'startx' load GUI?

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper
    which graphics card do you have? what the output of 'startx' command? does 'startx' load GUI?

Casper

im not sure the old graphic card's brand (don't have any brand printed, but its is AGP card, with dual display) but the new one, i have radeon 96000XT. i cant boot until neither startx to display any command nor load any GUI. after detecting my hardware and then OK, bla bla.... then it performing scan disk then it ask for my root password for maintenance. after i enter the root password, it just reboot the system all over again. BUT when i put the 2nd hard disk into the old system, it boot and load just well. is this related to hardware problem?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Casper

im not sure the old graphic card's brand (don't have any brand printed, but its is AGP card, with dual display) but the new one, i have radeon 96000XT. i cant boot until neither startx to display any command nor load any GUI. after detecting my hardware and then OK, bla bla.... then it performing scan disk then it ask for my root password for maintenance. after i enter the root password, it just reboot the system all over again. BUT when i put the 2nd hard disk into the old system, it boot and load just well. is this related to hardware problem?

you have to configure Graphics Card.
    in GRUB screen, select Fedora title and press 'e'. select 'kernel' line, press 'e' again and add <space> 3 at the end of line. press 'Enter' key and press 'b' to boot up. this will drop you on command line login prompt. log in as root and execute this
    Code:
     system-config-display
    configure display and resolutions. in case your Monitor is not listed in Monitors List, select 'Generic' Monitor. execute 'startx' to check GUI.

Casper

Just Joined!
    you have to configure Graphics Card.
    in GRUB screen, select Fedora title and press 'e'. select 'kernel' line, press 'e' again and add <space> 3 at the end of line. press 'Enter' key and press 'b' to boot up. this will drop you on command line login prompt. log in as root and execute this
    Code:
     system-config-display
    configure display and resolutions. in case your Monitor is not listed in Monitors List, select 'Generic' Monitor. execute 'startx' to check GUI.

Casper
    im not using fedora but red hat. so what is my next move?

try same code to configure display settings. procedure is same for Red Hat too. select Red Hat title in GRUB screen.

Casper

Just Joined!
    thanx devils_casper. i will try it and post the result. another question, is it all about the configuration of my graphic card that cause my red hat unable to boot properly?

is it all about the configuration of my graphic card that cause my red hat unable to boot properly?
    yes. Graphics card is not configured properly.

Casper

Just Joined!
    sorry..im think im using lilo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast