Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I recently got my wireless adapter working and used this to use the built-in software in fedora to update my computer. It installed a few hundred packages via the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Startup Problem - Xserver

Hi,

I recently got my wireless adapter working and used this to use the built-in software in fedora to update my computer. It installed a few hundred packages via the internet, but upon restart I get the following graphical dialog with a plain background:

"Please wait: scanning local network".

and then:

"No serving hosts were found"

Both of these dialogs have buttons on the bottom for cancel and help. The only way to exit is to press "cancel", which takes you back to the prompt. However, after about 3 seconds, the display switches again and you see the same dialogs meaning you have to press cancel. This will happen 6 times in a row until the system intervenes and shuts the xserver down. I then get two minutes of use (I can startx successfully at this point) before the same cycle starts again.

If I manage to startx, after the 2 minutes it will drop to a text background and say something about "there already appears to be an xserver running on display :0"

As you can imagine, this has rendered my system almost useless! Any ideas?

Second question: When Fedora installs it puts entries in Grub for Fedora XEN - what is this? I can never get it to work. I get errors involving Nvidia.

I have installed Fedora core 2.6.18 which I updated to 2.6.19 via the internet update feature in gnome.

Thanks

Just Joined!
    firstly you default run level is currently set to 6, this is what is causing it to constantly start the X server... to stop this edit /etc/inittab file and change the default runlevel to 3, this will temporarily stop the issue until you can get it sorted.

What this will mean is you need to login to the console and then use startx (you say this works??)

Can you also please clarify, is the issue with the Xserver of the Display Manager?

Fedora Xen is for VM's (Virtual Machines), unless you have a desperate need for a VM enviroment, i wouldn't be concerned and I would remove the rpm's to give yourself a small bit of space on your HDD back, will be minimal, but its useless if you don't use it.

Just Joined!
    Many thanks for the reply.

I changed the default runlevel from 5 to 3 - this has temporarily stopped the screen switches. I can run startx from the prompt with no problems.

I don't know if the problem is a display or xserver problem - I just guessed. How can I find this out?

Thanks again,
    James

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I've changed the desktop file to state that I want KDE as the default instead of GDM - this brings up the login screen correctly where I can load KDE. I don't get any further problems.

Thanks
    James