Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have been using Linux for awhile. I would like to convince my wife to use it all the time as well instead of always switching back and forth between ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Read/Writing to my Windows Hard Drive

I have been using Linux for awhile. I would like to convince my wife to use it all the time as well instead of always switching back and forth between Fedora Core 6 and XP. I figure I can accomplish this if my wife can access her files, music, pictures, etc. stored on the Windows Hard drive. Does any one know where I can find some references to make this happen? I just want to be able to read and write to the Windows hard drive.

Thanks

Just Joined!
    If the hard drive is a FAT file system, Linux should have no issues reading or writing it. But, as is more likely, it's an NTFS file system, you might have more problems.

NTFS is a proprietary file system, and so nobody but Micro$loth can handle it perfectly. Apparently (to my dismay), Fedora doesn't come with any NTFS support. I haven't tried them, but these instructions should help you install the required packages.

Good luck. I hope this helps.

If her files are stored on an NTFS partition all is not lost. I would definitely not recommend trying to write to NTFS, cos you might lose the lot, but you could always try moving your partitions around a little bit to make room for an extra partition. If you formatted this partition as FAT32 then it would be read/writeable from both windows and linux.

So you would have your windows NTFS partition with just windows on it, your linux partition with linux on it, and an extra space formatted as FAT32 for all your documents, photos, music, videos, etc. That way she will still have access to her files, and will be able to get a feel for how linux looks and behaves, and see if she's willing to be converted.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Just Joined!

thanks

Thanks for the help everyone. I got /dev/sda1 (NTFS Win-blows Drive) mounted just fine. It won't make it through a re-start though. I have to remount after each re-start. I think I need to make some more changes to the fstab file. I must have missed something. Thanks again.

Just Joined!

one last question

One last question:

This is the last line of the fstab file:

/dev/sda1 /windows ntfs-3g rw,defaults 0 0

It won't mount on re-starts. However mount -a finds it and it mounts fine. Any ideas?

Just Joined!

Problem

i have an Fat32 system logical partition(/dev/sda10) it won't mount!!

Just Joined!

mine worked

I finally found a good compromise. I could mount my win-blows hard drive. However, it would not mount on re-start. I had to go in and mount it manually to get it to work. I finally compromised and created a FAT32 partition instead. What is your difficulty? I may be able to help, no promises though. I spent most of my Firday night researching it on the web.

I would make sure the drive is formated as FAT32. You may need to mkfs.vfat /dev/sda10 to format the partition. Make sure the file type is set up as a FAT32, fdisk -l. Then mount it. I used "mount -t vfat /dev/sda10 /mnt". Then I changed the /etc/ftab file using vfat as the file type. It worked well for me. I would still like it better if my windows hard drive mounted on boot, but this works too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rohan Patil
    i have an Fat32 system logical partition(/dev/sda10) it won't mount!!
    post the output of 'fdisk -l' command here.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First