Find the answer to your Linux question:
the pc already had windows XP on it. 2 partitions on one hd, one recovery and one ntfs for the os and data. I added another hd to install fedora ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

XP and Fedora 6. how to get into fedora 6

the pc already had windows XP on it. 2 partitions on one hd, one recovery and one ntfs for the os and data.

I added another hd to install fedora 6 on. I told the installation program to wipe all the partitios off from hdb, then automatically create the partitions it needs and hdb and leave hda alone. That seemed to work, as hdb has 2 partitions, and hda still boots xp just fine. (using xp's disk management to see that)

This computer does not have a floppy drive, and at no point during the install of linux did it ask me to create a rescue or boot disk. it probably knew it couldn't anyway since there is no drive.

I think fedora installed grub, but not sure. i saw the files being copied during the install.

how do i get it to boot into linux? does anyone have the files i would need from my non-existant boot disk? if i just change my boot.ini to point to the right place on hdb, will it work?

its been quite a while since i dual booted to linux, the last version i did this with was red hat 9 and i don't remember it being much of a problem, but that pc had a floppy drive.

If it installed grub, but you don't get a grub prompt when you boot, that implies that it installed grub to hdb instead of hda. If that is the case, then adding an entry to boot.ini that points to hdb might work. Or you could try running "grub-install /dev/hda" as root to install grub to the MBR of /dev/hda.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

unplug windows harddisk and boot up from Linux Harddisk. does it boot up? what error message it throw?

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    I told grub to be installed to the mbr of hda. I wiped hdb and reinstalled several times now making sure i have selected everything that i should. for some reason, grub doesn't seem to be getting installed. I get no error messages during the fedora install. I would think if i couldn't write to the mbr, then it would get an error. The windows boot loader is still in the mbr of hda. If I get to my bios boot options and tell my pc to boot off from hdb, then I get "failed to load operating system" probably becasue the mbr of hdb is empty.

so, is my mbr on hda locked some how? or is something restoring my mbr after grub is written to it? Can I download an image to create a bootable cd that will install only grub? i know my linux boot sector is /dev/hdb1

first of all remove GRUB from your Windows Harddisk. Boot up from Windows Installation CD and select 'repair'. execute 'fixmbr'.
    Unplug Windows Harddisk and Plug-in other Harddisk as Primary Master. install Fedora in it and accept default options in Boot Loader section.
    after Fedora Installation, Plug-in Windows Harddisk as Secondary. Boot up Fedora and follow instructions from here to setup Dual Boot.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    thanks for the help. I did what you said and it works just fine now.