Find the answer to your Linux question:
I installed Fedora core 6 "zod" on my harddrive without any problems. I am not able to play MP3 files, I get a message "Totem could not play 'file:///media/disk/Song.mp3'. You ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

mp3 plugin

I installed Fedora core 6 "zod" on my harddrive without any problems. I am not able to play MP3 files, I get a message "Totem could not play 'file:///media/disk/Song.mp3'. You do not have a decoder installed to handle this file. You might need to install the necessary plugins". I downloaded the free "Fluendo-mp3-1.i386.tar.bz2", extracted and copied "libgstflump3dec.so" plugin to the /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10 as instructed by the Fluendo
    installation documentation. After performing the above steps, I am still unable to play Mp3 songs and get the same message I got before installing the plugin. The Fluendo documentation indicated the plugin should after being installed, give me access
    to play Mp3 files using Gstreamer applications such as Totem Movie Player, Rhythmbox
    Music Player, Banshee Music Player or Elisa Media Center. I don't know were to go from here, any help will be greatly appreciated.
    abeza
    Last edited by abeza; 02-17-2007 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Misspelled a word

hi abeza !

Welcome to the LinuxForums.

Fedora doesn't support .mp3, .dat and .mpeg out of box. you have to install codecs for that.
    for mp3
    Code:
    yum -y install xmms xmms-mp3
    for .dat and .mpeg
    Code:
    yum -y install xine xine-lib xine-skins

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Thank you Casper for your quick reply, I executed both codes you provided, both
    installation were completed. Still have the same problem, I used both Totem Movie
    Player and Rhythmbox Music Player and ended up with same results. When I used Rhythmbox, I got a message "Gstreamer plugins to decode "Mp3" files cannot be found.
    I am now able to play audio cd's, which I was not able to do before entering the codes
    you provided. Any other idea's?
    abeza

Try this
    http://www.fedorafaq.org/#mp3
    Follow step by step, Step 1 is critical
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Just Joined!
    Juan Pablo, thank you for your reply, I performed steps one through three,
    then went to the step "Now, install the correct plugin depending on
    which Mp3 player you want to use. For Rhythmbox or Totem. I enterered
    "yum install gstreamer-plugins-ugly" and after it went into the installation process a
    message appeared at the end, "no match for argument: gstreamer-plugin-ugly nothing to do".
    I still have the same problem. I believe I followed the steps as inndicated in the instuctions.
    Can you give me a detailed listing of what I have to do, maybe I did not perform the
    steps properly.
    abeza

check this tutorial. its for FC5 but instructions are same for FC6 too.
    did you try 'xmms' to play mp3 files?

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Casper, thank you again, I got Totem and Rhythmbox music player to play MP3 files,
    per the link you gave me, I did exactly what was indicated to get the plugins for the
    players, the players work perfect. I want to thank everyone for the help provided, I
    spent hours in the process and learned alot in terms of running RPM and YUM code.
    abeza