Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Ok, set up: 3 HD 1st HD: Windows XP 2nd HD: Red Hat 7.3 3rd HD: External (Back up) The only time I have been able to boot Linux is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Simple Boot Issue

Ok, set up:

3 HD

1st HD: Windows XP

2nd HD: Red Hat 7.3

3rd HD: External (Back up)

The only time I have been able to boot Linux is if I install GRUB in the MBR of the first drive. But, if I do that I can no longer boot Windows XP. So, I have fixed the MBR to restore the regular Windows boot. However, I can't boot Linux even though its on another drive altogether. I have tried to install the boot manager to the 2nd drive--no good--even if I choose to boot the computer from the Linux drive only, I get a screen like the following:

F1: Linux
    F2: ??
    F3: Drive 1

Pressing F1 causes the word GRUB to print to the screen followed by a cursor, and then nothing.

I don't know where the conflict is at. Thanks for any help. Oh, and I did have FreeBSD installed previously, but I thought I had removed its boot manager--

it looks like Boot Loader of FreeBSD/Lilo is installed in MBR of Harddisk.
    is Windows booting up on Selecting Drive 1?

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Windows would boot, except I don't think Drive 1 references an existing Windows partition anymore. I recieve an error similar to:

Error loading operating system

This only happens if I choose to boot from the second drive, booting from the first drive brings up Windows XP--as it should--and without the boot manager.

I had assumed that by installing everything for Linux to the second drive, that I could choose to boot from that drive and that GRUB would start automatically.

install fsdriver in Windows. it will mount Linux partitions in Windows. post the contents of grub.conf and device.map files. these files are in /boot/grub folder.

Casper

Just Joined!
    Wow, what a useful utility!

Ok, here is the grub.conf

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
    #
    # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
    # NOTICE: You do not have a /boot partition. This means that
    # all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
    # root (hd1,0)
    # kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hdb1
    # initrd /boot/initrd-version.img
    #boot=/dev/hdb1
    default=0
    timeout=10
    splashimage=(hd1,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-3)
    root (hd1,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-3 ro root=/dev/hdb1 hdc=ide-scsi
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.18-3.img
    title DOS
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1[/COLOR]

Here is device.map

# this device map was generated by anaconda
    (fd0) /dev/fd0
    (hd0) /dev/hda
    (hd1) /dev/hdb

Linux Harddisk is Plugged in as Secondary/Slave.
    is it possible for you to Plug-in Linux Harddisk as Primary Master and Windows Harddisk as Secondary/Slave? this will solve a lot of problems.

Casper

Just Joined!
    I could, but I would like to avoid doing that.

What is the problem with having Windows on the master and Linux on the slave?

Do I need to modify the Windows partitions and install GRUB in the master drive?

What is the problem with having Windows on the master and Linux on the slave?
    in most case, GRUB doesn't work properly if you install it in the MBR of other drive Windows Drive and Plug-in Windows drive as Master. GRUB isn't installed anywhere right now.
    Do I need to modify the Windows paritions and install GRUB in the master drive?
    NO. Windows Harddisk and its MBR will be intact. we dont change *anything* in Windows. we will install GRUB in MBR of Linux Harddisk, edit its device.map and grub.conf files.
    this is the Best way to keep Windows Disk intact in two Harddisks dual boot setup.

Casper

Just Joined!
    Ok, I changed the Linux drive to master and installed GRUB--it is working now.

Why is it that Linux must be installed on the master? Or, could I have left it on the slave and used a boot disk instead of the boot loader?

Thanks for your help-

Why is it that Linux must be installed on the master?
    as i mentioned earlier, problem is GRUB device mapping and BIOS support.
    could I have left it on the slave and used a boot disk instead of the boot loader?
    thats also an option but in that case, you will need boot disk all the time.

is Windows Booting up through GRUB?

Casper

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast