Find the answer to your Linux question:
Friends, I have installed Putty in my windows xp pc. I am connecting the RHEL AS 3 server using putty from my windows xp. My printer is connected to my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to take printout of linux file from windows xp using putty?

Friends,

I have installed Putty in my windows xp pc. I am connecting the RHEL AS 3 server using putty from my windows xp. My printer is connected to my windows xp.
    Now, i want to print text.txt of RHEL AS 3.0 in my windows xp printer through putty.

For Example:
    my pc ip is 117.23.2.55
    our RHEL AS 3 is 117.23.2.1
    my printer is SAMSUNG - ML-1520

what i have to configure and how can i take a printout of the files from linux?

Thanks
    Sathyguy

The easiest way (i would think) to do this is to share the printer from the XP machine like you would any printer (right click, sharing share as...)

Then on the Red Hat machine, probably use the CUPS web interface (this can be done from the XP machine if CUPS is configured to do so) to add a samba shared printer. Then simply print to the samba shared printer.. job done (hopefuly)
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Linux Enthusiast apoorv_khurasia's Avatar
    Putty is just a remote connection to your linux box. For you to be able to take a printout of a file on your linux box you should be somehow able to send this file to the printer. If your printer is on the same network as your linux box then pass the ip of the printer to linux using the lp utility.

If that is not possible then you can download this file from linux box to your windows machine and take a print from the latter. An easy way to do so will be by using ftp.
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike
    Registered Linux User: 400426 home page

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    What i did is....

From the above link i configured putty.

After that

i tried this command from putty.

$ lpr -P SamsungML1520 test.txt

i get the following error....

lpr: unable to print file: server-error-service-unavailable

what might be the reason?

Linux Enthusiast apoorv_khurasia's Avatar
    That thing, as I mentioned before, is only going to work if your printer is on the network (and has the name SAMSUNGML1520 on the network too). For example in our lab we have an hp printer which is on the network with an IP address of 10.20.11.191 and a name (mclprinter, you are free to give it any name). So on linux (using direct login or remote login (ex.putty, ssh)) we can issue this command
    Code:
    lpr -P mclprinter file.txt
    You will have to put this printer on the network first if you want to be able to do this. Start by checking if your printer has a network card (or support).
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike
    Registered Linux User: 400426 home page