Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Hi I installed Fedora Core 6 on my friend's laptop (Dell Inspiron E1505) with ATI Radeon X1300 Mobility Graphics Card. Then I downloaded the corresponding Linux drivers for this graphics ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast apoorv_khurasia's Avatar

Fedoar Core 6 and ATI Radeon Issues

Hi

I installed Fedora Core 6 on my friend's laptop (Dell Inspiron E1505) with ATI Radeon X1300 Mobility Graphics Card. Then I downloaded the corresponding Linux drivers for this graphics card from ATI's web-site and installed it on the laptop. Everything seems to be fine we are getting the needed resolution and OpenGL works fine. But in GNOME when we try to enable "Desktop Effects" (those cool 3D effects) it displays an error saying "could not enable". Moreover the ATI config utility does not start saying "fireglcontrolpanel" not found. I am not aware of this file or package and could not gather much info from google. Can anybody help us with any of these errors?

Thanks for any help in advance.
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike
    Registered Linux User: 400426 home page

I don't know why control panel is not found but trust me there is nothing interesting there.
    Use 'aticonfig' from console.
    As for desktop effects, I'm afraid you're out of luck (like me). They will not work until ATI supports GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap in their fglrx driver. They promise to do it in 9.x drivers but don't tell when they are going to release them.
    2b|!2b, that is the question

If substraction add to multiplication you will get a division.

GDB has a 'break' feature. Why doesn't it have a 'fix' too?

Registered Linux User #437662

Thanks for your reply. Its too bad ATI has not included full support in their drivers. Are you aware of any open-source/free drivers that might do the trick? The Linux kernel module for ATI does not seem to work that good.
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike

No. None of open drivers support Radeon X1300.

I am not sure what is wrong exactly with your setup, but I can tell that I got Compiz + AIGLX to work in Fedora Core 6 on an ATI card (ATI Radeon 9600).

Both the free "radeon" driver and the proprietary "fglrx" (using freshrpms packages) worked right away and gave me a working "3D desktop", with dual-monitors may I had.

Quote Originally Posted by Pythagoras
    They will not work until ATI supports GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap in their fglrx driver. They promise to do it in 9.x drivers but don't tell when they are going to release them.
    That is only necessary if you want to use Compiz/Beryl directly, without AIGLX or XGL backend. It is by no mean a requirement in order to get a full 3D desktop working.

Just check the AIGLX part of this tutorial for more info on how to properly configure your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file for Compiz/Beryl support.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Ok, I will try to do it on my machine once more tomorrow.

Ok, I will try to do it on my machine once more tomorrow.
    Ok, good luck.

Keep us updated on that.

Just proceed methodically...

1) Properly install the FGLRX driver, and verify that direct rendering is enabled (or simply use the RADEON driver -- note that it performs a little slower)
    2) Follow the steps enumerated in the tutorial I linked in order to enable AIGLX (simply in /etc/X11/xorg.conf configuration)
    3) Enable the "3D desktop" in Fedora
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Are you sure it works with fglrx driver?

Every time I enable AIGLX in xorg.conf the driver disables DRI and AIGLX fails.

Quote Originally Posted by antidrugue
    Ok, good luck.

Keep us updated on that.

Just proceed methodically...

1) Properly install the FGLRX driver, and verify that direct rendering is enabled (or simply use the RADEON driver -- note that it performs a little slower)
    2) Follow the steps enumerated in the tutorial I linked in order to enable AIGLX (simply in /etc/X11/xorg.conf configuration)
    3) Enable the "3D desktop" in Fedora
    Thanks for all the input, I am going to give it a shot this night. Tell me how can I check whats creating the problem. Currently it just tells me "cannot enable desktop effects" without any more information. Is there some command line version by which I can gather more information?
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike

Are you sure it works with fglrx driver?
    No doubt, it works on my machine. Both RADEON and FGLRX works with AIGLX + Compiz in Fedora Core 6.

Every time I enable AIGLX in xorg.conf the driver disables DRI and AIGLX fails.
    Well, verify that direct rendering is enabled :
    Code:
    glxinfo | grep direct
    And post your /etc/X11/xorg.conf, then perhaps we can all look at it and see what is wrong.

-Bruce Lee

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast