Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just shutdown my Fedora Core 5 server to put in a new power supply. After restarting, I get the following: Uncompressing Linux...OK, booting the kernel. ..MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

MP-BIOS Bug

I just shutdown my Fedora Core 5 server to put in a new power supply. After restarting, I get the following:

Uncompressing Linux...OK, booting the kernel.
    ..MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC
    powernow-k8: BIOS error - no PSB or ACPI_PSS objects
    Kernel Panic - not syncing: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel

The system just hangs at this point. I found a thread that said to edit the Grub option and add the string NOAPIC. This takes care of the MP-BIOS bug: 8254 but not the remainder and it still hangs.

I also found a thread to turn of the IO-APIC in the BIOS, but that did not help either.

Any help someone could give would be greatly appreciated. I am afraid that the install is trashed at this point and will require a new install. If there is a recovery option, I would love to hear about it.

Thanks
    Eric Horton
    ehorton@hortonsonline.org

Just Joined!

MP-BIOS Bug

I found the problem. Finally, after boot to the Fedora DVD and trying to run rescue (F5), the system gave me an error that indicated memory. I removed the suspect 1gb memory module and that solved the problem. I am now down to 2gb instead of 3, but that is better than nothing.
    Thanks

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums, ehorton

Thanks for reporting back with the fix, as it might be needed in the future by another user.

oz
    oz