Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am new to linux and going to install it first time for running my java code. I have three partitions in my HDD 1) WIn98 2) Win XP 3) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Redhat installation

I am new to linux and going to install it first time for running my java code.

I have three partitions in my HDD

1) WIn98
    2) Win XP
    3) Nothing on it (not even single file of folder), I dont know which type of partition it is.

My question is can I install Linux directly by inserting cd into cd drive and keep boot device as cd ?

I mean should I make partition or it will directly go to E:

Plz help

delere last partition through Disk Management Tool of Windows. leave it as unpartitioned/free space. boot up from Installation CD and start installation. select "unpartitioned/free space for install" in Partition Section during installation. its most important step otherwise you will mess Windows OSes. Dual boot is default in all distros. dont change anything in Boot Loader section.

Good Luck !
    Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Thank you friend, I will start installation and will let you know if I need help. I will need help to start my internet connection in Linux.

Thanks once again

you are Welcome !
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First