Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
I had a problem with one of my FC4 machines locking up with the 8776 nvidia drivers. I was never able to resolve it, but the people at nvidia suggested ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

I had a problem with one of my FC4 machines locking up with the 8776 nvidia drivers. I was never able to resolve it, but the people at nvidia suggested trying a newer kernel, newer nvidia driver (the one that nvidia showed on their site apparently wasn't the newest at the time), or to try booting the comp with the irq=poll or noapic kernel parameters. The default linux driver still worked though, so I just stuck with that.

as for the other part, what were you using to update? It's possible the server that it was trying to contact was down.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by linuxnoob1984
    k so now it seems to be slowing down and locking up after i try to install updates where a box comes up and says "Resolving Dependencies For Updates"
    try pressing ctrl + alt + f1 to switch back to text mode, log in as root, and type "init 3" to shut down X (so you can ensure it's not the nvidia drivers that are locking up the machine). Once you do that, try typing
    Code:
    yum list updates > update_list
    Once it finishes (providing it doesn't lock up), open up the file "update_list" and scan for the kernel update (it should look something like kernel-smp.x86_64). Once you find it, type
    Code:
    yum update kernel-smp.x86_64
    (or whatever your kernel was called in the list)

Once it finishes, reboot the comp. Keep in mind, your X will be dead because the nvidia drivers were compiled with the old kernel, so you'll have to press ctrl + alt + f1, log in as root, and reinstall the nvidia driver, then reload X.

That might help, it might not, depends on what is causing the lockup.

Just Joined!
    wow thats alot of work lol thanks again for helping me tho .. oh and one more thing i dont kno if this is a big issue or not .. but be4 when i started my computer and grub came up only one version of FC6 was in the menu but now theres 2 .. should i get rid of the older one? and if so .. how?

Linux Newbie
    some of my comps have about 10 options in the menu

Just leave them there, they don't hurt anything. They let you boot into older kernels if you so desire (so if for some reason you couldn't get the nvidia driver compiled for this new kernel, all you would have to do is reboot and pick the older kernel and it would be fine again). If you really want to you can remove the old kernels from the list, but I don't on my comps. Every time you update the kernel it will be added onto the list.

Just Joined!
    oh ok .. ok so i'm gonna be gone for a bit .. tryin to update the kernel and all that junk .. i'll let you kno how it goes .. hopefully your still on here lol :P

Just Joined!
    ok so when i press ctrl-alt-f1 the screen goes blank .. but theres not text .. and i cant type anything ....

Linux Newbie
    at what stage in the instructions does it do that?

you can also try ctrl + alt + f[2-6]

Just Joined!
    yea i dont kno whats going on but whenever i press ctr-alt-f1-f6 it does'nt matter tha screen just goes blank... no text and i cant type text .. it just goes blank

Just Joined!
    do you think i should just re-install FC6 fresh and install the nvidia driver again?

Linux Newbie
    What was the last thing that you did before it started doing this?
    What happens when you hit ctrl + alt + f7?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast