Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
so i installed Fedora Core 6 64bit on my HP Pavillion dv6000 series laptop, Amd Turion64x2, 1gig ram, 80gig harddrive, nvidia geforce 6150 , so anyways i installed it in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

FC6, Graphics Driver

so i installed Fedora Core 6 64bit on my HP Pavillion dv6000 series laptop, Amd Turion64x2, 1gig ram, 80gig harddrive, nvidia geforce 6150 , so anyways i installed it in graphics mode but i found out that FC6 does'nt have drivers for my card so after the boot up my screen goes blank and i always have to manually restart the computer, so i was told to install FC6 in text mode, now when i do this i boot up the computer and everything loads fine, but obviously in all in text, so my question is .. if i re-install FC6 in text mode how can i update my driver and use a GUI? or do i have to re-install in text mode? is there a way i can install my graphics card with the installation i have now? can sum1 PLEASE HELP ME! .. i dont have a windows system .. i have to use my brothers computer untill mine is fixed .. anyways thank you

Linux Newbie
    I would install in text mode, even though the installer doesn't support your graphics card the kernel still might (it probably will). If it still doesn't, after the installation on the boot it will probably flash a few times and tell you that it can't start X, or it will start X and the colors will get strange and you won't be able to see anything. If that's the case, I would go to text mode by hitting ctrl + alt + f1, and log in. Use your brother's comp to download the nvidia drivers for your proc from www.nvidia.com and put them on a cd or usb drive, then you can put that in your new comp and install the nvidia drivers and try it again.

Some keystrokes you might need:
    switch to text mode: ctrl + alt + f[1-6]
    switch to X: ctrl + alt + f7
    restart X: ctrl + alt + backspace

Just Joined!
    is that all i can do? my brothers computer does'nt have a cd burner

Linux Newbie
    I would install the OS first to see if you even have a problem and go from there (since that will have to be done regardless)

If you do end up needing the nvidia drivers there are more ways to get them. If you can get your LAN going then you could possibly use wget to get it from nvidia's server, or if that's not possible you could download the file and put it on another server (that doesn't have such a strange path) and use wget again, or you could set up file sharing on your brother's computer and use SAMBA to mount his shares and get it that way.

If you can't get your LAN going then you'll need to find some other way of getting the file onto the computer, such as a 3rd comp with a cd burner or a usb drive

Just Joined!
    ok so i burned the .run 64bit file from the nvidia website onto a dvd .. since thats all we had .. so how do i now install the driver? remember i did'nt install in text mode so after i boot up the screen goes blank

Linux Newbie
    How were you able to put it on a dvd and not a cd?

Anyway, I thought you were saying the graphical installation wasn't working, so you had to install in text mode?

I guess what I'm really asking is, did you actually get linux installed? If not then you need to install it using the text based installer, if so then when it boots press ctrl + alt + f1 to switch to text mode, login as root, and follow the instructions on nvidia's site:
    Code:
    sh file.run

Just Joined!
    ok so first i want to say THANK YOU! lol it worked .. now theres just a couple things .. it seems kind of sketchy.. for example i cant seem to update anything or add software .. it just hangs up .. i already had to restart the computer once .. i want to add some software from the cd like the KDE GUI and so on .. also i thought FC6 came with compiz and beryl but i cant seem to find either or . umm so yea if you could get back to me that would be great .. again THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!

Linux Newbie
    You mean it's locking up?

Just Joined!
    well its not doin that anymore .. but i tried to update software and it says sumthin like im not connected to the internet or sumthin but thats not the case cause otherwise i wouldint be typing these messages to you right now lol

Just Joined!
    k so now it seems to be slowing down and locking up after i try to install updates where a box comes up and says "Resolving Dependencies For Updates"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast