Find the answer to your Linux question:
i just read in another forum that Red Hat has "end-of-lifed" Red Hat 9. As that's what I run, I'd like to know what it means. I know that Microsoft ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

What does "end-of-life" mean for a Linux Distro?

i just read in another forum that Red Hat has "end-of-lifed" Red Hat 9. As that's what I run, I'd like to know what it means. I know that Microsoft periodically withdraw support from old Windows releases, which means that the people who make firewalls and anti-virus software also stop supporting them, which means you have to buy a new version even if you don't want to, which means you have to upgrade your computer in order to be able to run the new version... I changed to Linux to get away from all that!

Does it just mean that they don't provide telephone support to enterprise customers any more? Or is it something that affects home users too?
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Quote Originally Posted by hazel
    Does it just mean that they don't provide telephone support to enterprise customers any more? Or is it something that affects home users too?
    Yes, plus they don't provide any updates anymore. Neither security nor functionality update.

Plus, RedHat won't make any efforts so that new softwares they wrote are compatible with RH9.

More here :
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End-of-life

But why would you want to use RedHat 9 anyway ? It is more then 4 years old, and definitely obsolete.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

And you can get a free version of RHEL called CentOS with updates and everything for free
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Yes but would it run on my hardware? We're talking Pentium 2, 96MB RAM and a 3 GB hard disk. For what I use it for - basic email/browsing, studying Linux docs and playing about with C - it works just fine but I bet a modern distro wouldn't even install on it. And I really don't see why I should have to buy a new computer just to install new software.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

You can always use a smaller distro like DSL http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/ , you don't need to get new hardware.

If you prefer you can still use RH9, you won't get any update but it should work flawlessly with old hardware
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by hazel
    We're talking Pentium 2, 96MB RAM and a 3 GB hard disk.
    Yes, a stripped down CentOS will work on that one.
    Although it won't turn it into a Ferrari.

You might want to invest some money in order to increase memory!
    Would make a difference...