Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, I am a Linux newbie, I've just installed Fedora Core 5 on one of the partitions on my hard drive, but I haven't installed the GRUB loader. I wanted ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to make windows boot loader detect Fedora

Hi,

I am a Linux newbie, I've just installed Fedora Core 5 on one of the partitions on my hard drive, but I haven't installed the GRUB loader.

I wanted to keep the windows boot loader because I have only the first 3 CDs of Fedora. If I choose to install the GRUB loader it asks for the 4th CD.

After I installed Fedora using only the first 2 CDs, it asked me to reboot the computer which I did, but windows boot loader didn't show up. I want to ask how to make windows detect Fedora? Could I do it just by editing boot.ini in some manner?

(I do not have a working Floppy drive.)

Thanks.

Hi Vibubhav,

Welcome to the LinuxForums.

if you want to use Windows Boot Loader, GRUB must be installed in the 'boot sector' of /boot partition of Fedora. you have to create an image of boot sector, save it in C: drive of Windows and edit boot.ini file after that.
    After I installed Fedora using only the first 2 CDs, it asked me to reboot the computer which I did, but windows boot loader didn't show up
    what does your machine display at startup now? is it booting Fedora or Windows?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Hi, thanks.

It boots in Windows now.

So I think I need to download all CDs of Fedora and install the GRUB loader also, and then let it handle the booting process?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    you have to install Boot Loader ( GRUB ) somewhere. if Windows and Fedora are on same harddisk, i would suggest you to install GRUB in MBR of Harddisk and use it as main Boot Loader only. its very easy to manage dual boot settings through GRUB.

Just Joined!
    Yes it's possible.
    You first install linux and don't install the linux boot loader on the master boot record.
    This guide may help you.
    http://www.tprthai.net/bootmgr.htm

Though I recommend just getting the 4th CD and use GRUB.

Quote Originally Posted by japlha
    Yes it's possible.
    You first install linux and don't install the linux boot loader on the master boot record.
    its *not* possible. you must Install Linux Boot Loader somewhere. as i suggested earlier, if you want to use Windows Boot Loader, you have to install Linux Boot Loader in boot sector.
    in many cases, 'dd' command didn't work. i would suggest you to check here for creating image file of Linux Boot Loader and editing boot.ini.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper
    its *not* possible. you must Install Linux Boot Loader somewhere. as i suggested earlier, if you want to use Windows Boot Loader, you have to install Linux Boot Loader in boot sector.
    in many cases, 'dd' command didn't work. i would suggest you to check here for creating image file of Linux Boot Loader and editing boot.ini.
    I agree that you do need to install it somewhere just not on the master boot record. I've never had any problems with doing this and using dd to copy the and have ntldr load it.

you must be lucky. latest version of Fedora and SuSe doesn't work with 'dd' image.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper
    you must be lucky. latest version of Fedora and SuSe doesn't work with 'dd' image.
    haha lucky in boot loaders, unlucky in video drivers

Just Joined!
    Now I have made three partitions. One one Windows XP is installed, on another 2GB partition Ubuntu 5.10 (base system only) is installed, and on the third I want to install Fedora.

I have installed the GRUB loader from Ubuntu, it detects XP, but not Fedora when I install it. Is there some way to make it detect Fedora too?

I do not know much on how to work from a command line interface only. But I am sure it is possible to make it detect Fedora now somehow. Please help!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast