Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have been trying to install a dual boot set-up of fedora core 6 and windows xp professional, but have come across many problems and I am now stuck as ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fedora Core 6/Windows XP Dual Boot

I have been trying to install a dual boot set-up of fedora core 6 and windows xp professional, but have come across many problems and I am now stuck as to what to do!

The first thing I did was to install Windows. When partioning, I left 10GB of free space at the start of my hard drive for fedora, and used the rest for Windows.. It installed fine, and was working perfectly.

Then I installed fedora in the free space I had left. I chose to install GRUB on the MBR, and the fedora setup automatically configured it to load the fedora and windows partitions.

After installing fedora, I could boot into fedora fine, but when attempting to boot into windows I got an error message that hal.dll was missing or corrupt. I found a post (http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ins...t-missing.html) that offered a solution to this problem, so thought I'd try and do what it says.

However, when booting from the Windows XP cd it just gave me a blank screen. Again I found a post concerning this problem (http://www.ozzu.com/ftopic73477.html). but the solution of hiding the fedora partition didn't work!

The only idea I have is to put the windows partition at the start of the drive (the first partition) as this may allow the CD to boot. But I am not sure if this will help and will involve wiping the whole hard drive and starting again! Is this the best plan, or is there an alternative that I have overlooked?

Thanks in advance.

Hi sk4425,

Welcome to the LinuxForums.

if you have Floppy drive, download Windows 98 Bootable Floppy from
    www.bootdisk.com and boot up from Floppy. execute 'fdisk /mbr'. this command will remove GRUB from MBR. check if Windows boots up on reboot. if windows doesn't boot up, try Windows Installation CD to fix it. Installation CD will work after removing GRUB through Bootable Floppy.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Hi devils_casper, thanks for such a quick response!

I don't have a floppy disk drive and I am on fedora, so can't run the exe files on bootdisk.com. However I downloaded the Win98 boot disk img file under "Non-Windows Based Image Files W/ImageApp". Can I simply burn this image to a CD, or is it not that simple? (it is a .img file)

you can use SuperGRUB CD. download .iso image and burn it to CD. boot from CD and remove GRUB. Windows Installation CD will work after that. its easy to re-install GRUB after fixing Windows.

Just Joined!
    Thanks again! I followed your instructions to remove grub but the windows cd is still not loading. I even tryed hiding the linux partitions at the same time, but still just a blank screen!

Any other suggestions?

thats strange. Windows Installation CD should work after removing GRUB.
    what does machine display on booting up from Harddisk now?

Just Joined!
    It displays the windows error message that hal.dll is missing or corrupt, so the superGRUB cd has changed the MBR to boot windows directly.

now Problem is in Windows only. SuperGRUB CD did its job. check your Windows Installation CD in other machine.

Just Joined!
    The CD worked fine when I installed Windows originally. But, i will check on a different computer when I can.

Do you think it could be a problem related to the location of my Windows partition? (It is not the first on the disk). I read somewhere that Windows can have problems when not on the first partition.

Do you think it could be a problem related to the location of my Windows partition? (It is not the first on the disk). I read somewhere that Windows can have problems when not on the first partition.
    it could be the problem. i suggest you to recover data from windows, if any and re-install it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast