Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi all, I am new to the kernel stuff and I had to load the RTC module support for the kernel 2.6.9-42.0.2.EL. After doing make and make modules_install , the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Reg. Loading older kernel

Hi all,
    I am new to the kernel stuff and I had to load the RTC module support for the kernel 2.6.9-42.0.2.EL. After doing make and make modules_install , the PC 's ethernet interface is now not coming up. infact the device eth0 is not there in the ifconfig. Only the loop back address is present. also now I cant see any modules under the /lib/modules/`kernel-version`. So if i try to load the ethernet module 8139too.ko with modprobe or do a depmod, it gives error that this module is not found.

I dont know how to bring the PC out of this state without losing the current applications. When the changes were made to the .config when I did make menuconfig, is it possible that the system would have saved a copy of the old config file? because I see a config file by name .config.old under the persently loaded kernel in the /usr/src/. If it is so, is it possible to revert to the old configuration? Please let me know how this can be done.......

Also, there is another kernel version called 2.6.9-34.EL or something under /usr/src/kernels. If the .config.old does not work, can I change the kernel version to 2.6.9-34.EL? If so please provide me any important info and the steps to do so.

Finally I read somewhere that we can recover the current kernel from /boot directory. How is this possible.
    Thanks in advance for all the help,
    Awaiting your reply,
    Padmaja

Please paste the output of the following here:

1. Do
    cat /etc/grub.conf
    ls /lib/modules
    uname -r
    ls /boot
    ---------------------------------
    Registered Linux User #440311
    HI2ARUN _AT_ GMAIL _DOT_ COM

Just Joined!
    Thank You for coming back so soon:
    Here is what you asked for:

cat /etc/grub.conf

#Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
    #NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that
    # all the kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/ , e.g.,
    # root (hd0,0) kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
    # initrd /initrd-version.img
    #boot= /dev/hda
    default=0
    timeout=5
    Splashimage=(hd0,0) /grub/splash.xpm.gz
    hidden menu
    Title CentOS (2.6.0-42.0.2.EL)
    root (hd0,0)
    Kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-42.0.2.EL ro root /dev/VloGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet
    initrd /initrd-2.6.9-42.0.2.EL.img
    Title CentOS -4 i386 (2.6.9-34.EL)
    root (hd0,0)
    Kernel /Vmlinuz-2.6.9-34.EL ro root= /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet

ls /lib/modules

2.6.9-34.EL
    2.6.9-34.EL.ELsmp
    2.6.9-34.ELhugemem
    2.6.9-42.0.2.EL
    2.6.9-42.0.2.ELsmp
    2.6.9-42.0.2.ELhugemem
    Kabi-4.0-0

uname -r
    2.6.9-42.0.2.EL

ls/boot

boot.b
    chain.b
    config-2.6.9-34.EL
    config-2.6.9-42.0.2.EL
    grub (folder)
    initrd-2.6.9-42.0.2.EL.img
    initrd-2.6.9-34.EL.img
    lost+found(dir)
    memtest86+-1.26
    Please let me know if there is a way to use the same kernel 2.6.9-42.0.2.EL with all the applications intact. I do not want to go to other kernel types available if possible.

Thank You,
    Padmaja

Please let me know if there is a way to use the same kernel 2.6.9-42.0.2.EL with all the applications intact. I do not want to go to other kernel types available if possible.
    Fine. You said in you previous thread that you dnt see any modules.

. also now I cant see any modules under the /lib/modules/`kernel-version`
    While choosing modules, did u compile all the modules statically?

If yes, then you will not be having any modules in the directory.

If not, go to the source of that kernel (2.6.9-42.0.2.EL), and do
    Code:
    make modules_install
    and see if your modules are in place /lib/modules/2.6.9-42.0.2.EL/kernel/

Once you hve got all the modules in place, do mkinitrd and re-boot ur system.

Please let us know, if u still face any problems.

Just Joined!
    Hello,

Thanks again for your reply. I could not understand a few things from what you mentioned:

***While choosing modules, did u compile all the modules statically? If yes, then you will not be having any modules in the directory. If not, go to the source of that kernel (2.6.9-42.0.2.EL), and do make modules_install ***

I dont know what it means by compiling all the modules statically. After choosing RTC as a modules from menuconfig, I saved the changes to the kernel and then I did a make modules_install. then rebooted the system. Since then the ethernet interface does nt come up. And I cant see any modules under the current kernel version under /lib/modules/. Does that mean I have compiled the modules statically? If so what should I do to get back all the modules? As you mentioned, I tried make modules_install but still i cant see any modules under /lib/modules/'kernel-release'. Of course I didnt do the mkinitrd and reboot the system, because I thought to consult before doing anything.

Please let me know what I should do to get all the modules back and to have the current kernel version running without losing any applications.....

Thanks again,
    Padmaja

Can you post your .config file here? It is a hidden file, present in your kernel source directory (2.6.9-42.0.2.EL).

Fine. If you cud not post the entire .config here, please let us know the following clarifications:

Open .config file

vi .config
    In that file, could see anything like this?
    CONFIG_8139TOO=m
    If yes, then RealTek module is compiled dynamically. Instead of 'm', if you see 'y', then that module is compiled statically.

Please let me know what I should do to get all the modules back and to have the current kernel version running without losing any applications.....
    Please do this as the last option:

1. Do
    make menuconfig
    2. Select
    General Setup-->

3. Select
    Local version - append to kernel release

4. Put some identifier string - for ex: "-Try1"

5. Do required changes - goto Device Drivers -> Network Device Support -> Ethernet -> and choose the card name and put 'M'

6. Save the changes

7. Compile kernel "make bzImage"

8. Compile modules "make modules"

9. Install modules "make modules_install"

10. Copy bzImage to /boot dir - "cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage-2.6.9-42.0.2.EL-Try1"

11. Copy System.map to /boot dir - "cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.6.9-42.0.2.EL-Try1"

12. Do mkinitrd - "mkinitrd -v /boot/initrd-2.6.9-42.0.2.EL-Try1.img 2.6.9-42.0.2.EL-Try1"

13. Add conf to grub.conf

#Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
    #NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that
    # all the kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/ , e.g.,
    # root (hd0,0) kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
    # initrd /initrd-version.img
    #boot= /dev/hda
    default=0
    timeout=5
    Splashimage=(hd0,0) /grub/splash.xpm.gz
    hidden menu
    Title CentOS (2.6.0-42.0.2.EL)
    root (hd0,0)
    Kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-42.0.2.EL ro root /dev/VloGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet
    initrd /initrd-2.6.9-42.0.2.EL.img
    Title CentOS -4 i386 (2.6.9-34.EL)
    root (hd0,0)
    Kernel /Vmlinuz-2.6.9-34.EL ro root= /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet

Title CentOS (2.6.0-42.0.2.EL-Try1)
    root (hd0,0)
    Kernel /bzImage-2.6.9-42.0.2.EL-Try1 ro root /dev/VloGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet
    initrd /initrd-2.6.9-42.0.2.EL-Try1.img
    14. See that your /lib/modules/2.6.9-42.0.2.EL-Try1/kernel path has all the modules in it

15. Re-boot the system - choose this kernel

N.B. Some typo might be thr in it. Please ensure that u dnt follow the typos, if any.

Just Joined!
    Hi,

Before I proceed with the steps that you sent, please let me know about the following things:

1. The hidden .config file has the CONFIG_8139too.ko set to m (module). there are many other things defined as modules in this .config file but none of these modules are present in /lib/modules/kernel-version. This folder is completely empty.

2. There is a config-2.6.9-42.0.2.EL in the /boot directory corresponding to the current kernel version 2.6.9-42.0.2.EL. HOwever, the config file in /boot differs from the hidden .config file in the kernel directory at two places. Is this ok? These are at the places in the files where RTC is defined as a module. Rest of the places, the files are very similar.

3. I do not get a version of kernel to choose while the PC is booting. In fact I did not know that there are so many kernel versions on my PC until I looked into the /usr/src/kernels directory. So if I tag the current kernel with the string as you mentioned by doing menuconfig, will I get the option automatically during boot time to load this kernel? Or is there some code change to LILO that I have to do for the system to display this menu?

4. If by any chance the steps do not work, can i go to the kernel version 2.6.9-34.EL and still have my applications running?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
    Padmaja

Just Joined!
    Hi,

Sorry, in the last message I mentioned that the system does not give me any option for choosing the kernel. After sending you the reply, I thought about it and restarted the PC, it was going to set the default kernel and before the timeout, I pressed enter and it then showed me the options:

2.6.9-42.0.2.EL and 2.6.9-34.EL

I chose the second option this time and I did nt get even a single error. The ethernet interface too is now up and i can connect that PC to network and all my applications are also intact..This part of the issue is now solved.. Thank You very much....

Now that I know the system can work with the the lower kernel version, I will try to make the changes to original kernel 2.6.9-42.0.2.EL as you suggested and see if it too can come up and work as before..
    For that please let me know if there is a need to change the Lilo boot loader code..

Thanks again for all your help,
    Padmaja

a need to change the Lilo boot loader code..
    If you r using LILO, u need to edit /etc/lilo.conf and after editing it run lilo

lilo
    Before that, get into the source 2.6.9-42.0.2.EL, do "make modules" and do "make modules_install" and check if you have ur modules in /lib/modules/2.6.9-42.0.2.EL path.

If possible, can u paste the output of "make modules_install" here?

To have more time to choose kernel, set timeout to some higher values

For ex:

timeout=20

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast