Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey I need some help with my installation with RedHat 8. I hav got 3 Hardrives installed 1 SATA, which is plugged into my sata 0, and 2 IDE. The ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Angry Help need with installation with linux RedHat 8.0

Hey

I need some help with my installation with RedHat 8.
    I hav got 3 Hardrives installed 1 SATA, which is plugged into my sata 0, and 2 IDE. The IDE are Secondary Master and Secondary Slave. My cd rom drive is SATA and its plugged into my sata 0 port.

The boot screen starts fine, but the it comes up with a message saying "which media contains the installation files" then i can choose Hardrive or cdrom. If i choose cd rom it says that It cant find the installation files. And when i choose hardrive it says "you dont seem to have any hardrives insatlled"

I hav messed around with the "linux =/dev/***" commands but i cant seem to get them right. This has been bugging me for sometime. Any help would be grate.

email maggot@webmail.co.za

Just Joined!
    I think that you will find Red Hat 8 is too old for your hardware. Have you thought about using Fedora or another more recent version.
    SATA drives were not even out when RH8 was available AFAIK so you won't find the necessary drivers to include your drive on install. I also don't think RH is even putting out updates for RH8.
    Try finding some older hardware and you will have better luck.

Linux Enthusiast
    Since RH8 is not supported for some time, you will find no (official) SATA support.

You might want to checkout newer versions of Red hat based distributions like Fedora (community supported), RHEL 4 (or 5) (commercial) or CentOS (RHEL based, comminuty supported)