Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hey all, I was referred here by a friend because: a. I am new to linux and really want to learn how to properly learn it. b. Apparently you guys ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

FC2 Install HELL!

Hey all,

I was referred here by a friend because:
    a. I am new to linux and really want to learn how to properly learn it.
    b. Apparently you guys really know what your talking about

My Problem
    My main rig seems to hate Linux... Right back to Red Hat 9 it refuses to recognise the install media, but with Fedora Core 2 I have a new problem.

When I boot, the CD reads and I get to the FC2 install menu. Whatever I do next, will crash the install and restart the Computer:
    <ENTER>
    LINUX IDE=NOACPI <ENTER>
    LINUX NOPROBE <ENTER>
    LINUX TEXT <ENTER>

All crash when loading initrd.img

LINUX MEM=512 NOPROBE <ENTER>

Crashes while expanding kernel.

I can at no stage get to the GUI install!

I thought I may have a weird Hardware conflict so I removed:
    My CD-RW
    My Second HDD
    My Soundblaster
    My Digi TV Card
    Leaving only my motherboard (ASUS P4P800), P4 2.4Ghz C, SATA Hard Disk (WD Raptor), ATI 9600Pro, Memory (Corsair TwinX) and DVD-RW (Brand New NEC) in and no change.

I then proceeded to use the Linux mem tester and the Microsoft Mem tester. Both reported that my memory had absolutly no errors

I then disabled EVERYTHING on my ASUS P4P800: no lan, no serial, no parrallel, no usb, no HT, no PAT, no overclocking, no FDD, no Power management... I even underclocked the CPU and memory.

All my hardware has the latest Firmware, every cable works fine, there are no errors with Windows!

And still it crashes!! The media has been MD5 checked and has sucessfully installed on two other systems!!! Please someone... Anyone help me! Before I have to run back to Bill [/b]

Fedora Core 2 is still unstable is it not? Anyways I'd go with Fedora Core 1, I use that as my secondary distro in the case that Gentoo goes down.

actually fedora core 2 has been offically released and is suppose to be stable but i have heard from a bunch of ppl that it doesnt seem to work really well. sorry im not sure what the problem is. but im not thinking that this is a problem with your hardware. it mite possibly be that you have a currupted cd. you could try burning it again at a slower speed and if it still doesnt work then maybe redownload it and try again. this is all i can think of but i have never ran into this problem so maybe someone else will beable to help you out.

PS welcome to the forum
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

I would investigate the SATA support

SATA is supported by the linux kernel but it relatively new. It is not going to as easy to install on as an IDE drive. Check what chipset the motherboard uses and then see if it is supported by the kernel used by Fedora Core 2.

On Fedora Core 1 some SATA chipsets did not work with the installer. See this article http://fedoranews.org/contributors/mike_insch/sata/
    Notice that at the end the author says that the chipset he is discussing should be supported in Core 2.

I rember when the nForce chipsets came out they were not supported immediately. I ivestigated and decide to go with another chipset that I knew would work.

In conclusion I do not know if SATA is the problem but it looks like something worth checking out.

Just Joined!
    for some reason core 2 hates the asus 94800d mb go to the readhat site thiers a hole list of problems, i can't even boot with my freezes at eneabling swap space

Just Joined!
    Well, I have the same motherboard and the same problem - no matter what I do, I'm unable to load the installer.

Although the motherboard has SATA-suport, I'm not using it - I don't know much about hardware, but something seems to be kinda fubar....

Just Joined!
    Hi,

Granted my system does not have SATA drives, I installed FC2 on 2 machines so far. No hassles whatsoever. Runs really nicely.

Just wanted to get that in there.

Cheers!

Just Joined!

Re: FC2 Install HELL!

Quote Originally Posted by Leebobs
    Fedora Core 2 I have a new problem.

When I boot, the CD reads and I get to the FC2 install menu. Whatever I do next, will crash the install and restart the Computer:

All crash when loading initrd.img
    ATI 9600Pro, Memory (Corsair TwinX)

I then disabled EVERYTHING on my ASUS P4P800

All my hardware has the latest Firmware, every cable works fine, there are no errors with Windows!

And still it crashes!! The media has been MD5 checked and has sucessfully installed on two other systems!!! Please someone.

I am having the same issues. I also have an ASUS P4P800 Deluxe with an ATI 9600 PRO graphics card and 1GB Corsair memory.

I tried all different boot options. There is nothing wrong with the Fedora CDs or my computer system.

I was able to successfull install Fedora Core 2 on my other dual boot system. It has a Tyan 501 motherboard and nVidia graphics card.

I even tried the Recovery Cd-Rom provided by Fedora. It also crashes my system when I select the recovery option.

Is it possible to install the software while the system is booted up normally? Or should this install be done from the Cd-Rom?

Thanks.

Jeff

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitetornado
    Hi,

Granted my system does not have SATA drives, I installed FC2 on 2 machines so far. No hassles whatsoever. Runs really nicely.

Cheers!
    Same here - FC2 smooth as can be.

P4 3.0GHz
    Epox motherboard
    Serial ATA harddrive
    TDK DVD/CD Burner
    nvidia 5950 <------nightmare to install drivers

Linux Newbie

Fedora

AM i the only person starting to get pissed off with fedora??
    I installed it properly, and it does not like RPM's so no new things can be downloaded for it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast