Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed Redhat 8 on my IBM thinkpad T30 (dualboot XP w/ Grub). I also got the 2 update CDs along with RH8. My question is how many updates ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Redhat 8 updates CD

I just installed Redhat 8 on my IBM thinkpad T30 (dualboot XP w/ Grub). I also got the 2 update CDs along with RH8.

My question is how many updates should I apply? Its seems I need to manually apply all the RPMs from the disk. I can't imagine applying all of them so I thought I would ask for suggestions as to which ones are important.

Thanks,
    Dave

Just Joined!

Try rpm --freshen

You probably want to install most the updates that are available and for which you already have an installed version. Most updates fix real problems. If you look here https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/rh8-errata.html you will see that most updates fix security problems and there are a small number of
    bug fixes.

I am assuming that all the update rpms are in a single directory such as RPMS.
    Code:
    cd RPMS
    rpm --freshen --hash *.rpm
    The freshen option will try to upgrade only those rpms that are already installed. The --hash will give an indication of progress.