Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have Fedora Core 6 installed on my laptop and I want to get the wireless network card working on it. The card is a Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2915ABG . ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wireless on Fedora Core 6

Hi,
    I have Fedora Core 6 installed on my laptop and I want to get the wireless network card working on it. The card is a Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2915ABG . When I go into the network settings it appears to recognise the card but when I go to activate it it comes up with errors. The wireless network that I'm trying to connect to is an auto-detect one i.e no IP address or DNS is required.
    Any Help would be much appreciated
    Thanks
    Pistol

Post the output of lspci, I want to know which chipset you are using

I'm trying to connect to is an auto-detect one i.e no IP address or DNS is required.
    Of course you need an IP address, a gateway and some DNSs,the difference s that they are assigned through DHCP without your intervention
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Just Joined!
    I'm sorry you lost me with lspci- what do you mean. I'm still sought of new to linux

Quote Originally Posted by pistol53
    Hi,
    The card is a Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2915ABG . When I go into the network settings it appears to recognise the card but when I go to activate it it comes up with errors.
    The Intel IPW2915 uses the same drivers as the IPW2200. Those drivers are included in the Linux kernel.

So only one thing is required on your part: to extract the card firmware in /lib/firmware/.

Download the latest firmware (v3.0) from there:
    http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/firmware.php

Then extract it:
    Code:
    tar zxf ipw2200-fw-3.0.tgz
    cd ipw2200-fw-3.0/
    su
    mv *.fw /lib/firmware/
    That's it. Now your card will work (on the next reboot).
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    Make sure your ethernet isn't sharing the same IP as wireless, otherwise deactivate if you're not going to use. This had me stuck for yonks.

Just Joined!
    Thanks guys I give it a go as soon as i get a chance. Just one more thing. Do i download the codecs i need from one of the players (e.g rythmbox) website?

Quote Originally Posted by antidrugue View Post
    The Intel IPW2915 uses the same drivers as the IPW2200. Those drivers are included in the Linux kernel.

So only one thing is required on your part: to extract the card firmware in /lib/firmware/.

Download the latest firmware (v3.0) from there:
    Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Driver Firmware

Then extract it:
    Code:
    tar zxf ipw2200-fw-3.0.tgz
    cd ipw2200-fw-3.0/
    su
    mv *.fw /lib/firmware/
    That's it. Now your card will work (on the next reboot).
    I've tried this, and it still doesn't detect it. (For one, the driver doesn't exist when setting up a new device or hardware.)