Find the answer to your Linux question:
After i installed FC2, i noticed nautilus no longer showed any toolbars or the side panel. It also opened a new window every time i opened a folder. Setting folders ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

problems with nautilus in FC2

After i installed FC2, i noticed nautilus no longer showed any toolbars or the side panel. It also opened a new window every time i opened a folder.

Setting folders to open with "nautilus --browser" fixed the toolbars and side pane, but it still opens new windows every time. Maybe i'm just missing some obvious option, but i can't seem to find any way to get it to use only window.

Just Joined!
    well, Gnome 2.6 uses the spatal style browsing which uses a lot of bookmarks, and so on. I'm sure somewhere there is a setting for it to modify it somewhere, just keep looking around.

Just Joined!

What I did, and worked.

I read this in some other forum.
    Go to System Tools, Configuration Editor, Apps, Nautilus, Preferences, and check always_use_browser.
    What this does is that is makes nautilus act exactly as it did in in the previous genome version. i.e. it shows the bar on top so you can type locations, and it doesnt open new windows.

I was wondering the same thing...only what file/directory are these settings stored in?
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux User
    Thank you very much, that has been bugging the sh!t out of me.

Linux Enthusiast
    I tried setting the "Always use browser" option, but it still insists on opening a new window every time no matter what i do...
    I tried using all the command-line options i could find, as well as trying numerous settings in the config editor, but nothing works.

Just Joined!
    after you set it, restart x windows (logoff)

that should do the trick!