Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am running RedHat 9 on a Toshiba Portegé 7020CT Laptop with a Docking Station. I can't seem to boot up with a floppy(the floppy drive is in the docking ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Problems booting from a floppy

I am running RedHat 9 on a Toshiba Portegé 7020CT Laptop with a Docking Station. I can't seem to boot up with a floppy(the floppy drive is in the docking station). The only time that my computer will boot from a floppy if it is a RedHat installation boot disk. I know this is going to make me sound like a complete n00b, but is there some file that I have to edit to make my computer boot from a floppy, or what? Or does it have to do with the fact that the drive is in the docking station?
    I'd appreciate any help!
    -lakerdonald

Just Joined!
    Check your bios to make sure that it can boot from floppy also it depends on what type of floppy your trying to get it to boot, we need more info to evaluate your problem

BIOS

I've tried to get to BIOS by doing all of the classic key combos at bootup (e.g. F2, F8, F12, DEL, INS, F6) but I can't get to the BIOS. I have been trying to boot up for example Tinfoil Hat, FloppyFW, Small Linux, and Hal91. Sometimes I also use a MSDOS bootdisk for doing things that I am more comfortable doing with DOS. But none work. So how can I get to the BIOS settings?

Just Joined!
    that is damn strange but not at all uncommon with laptops try googling for your problem see if that yields any results because you should be able to access your bios

good idea

It doesn't display any messages at boot-up as to what to press to enter the BIOS settings. I've googled it, and can't even find a user manual. I've tried all of the "F" keys, as well as INS and DEL.

I got it

Finally! I tried ESC! Stupid me. Now I'm in the BIOS settings. Thanks for your help, doppleganger!
    I appreciate it!
    -lakerdonald

Still won't boot from floppy

I got into the BIOS settings and verified that the Floppy Drive was the first priority at Boot-up. I saved the settings rebooted with TinFoil Hat Linux in the Floppy Drive, and it still skips right over it! I'm all out of ideas. If there's anybody out there that can give me a clue I would so very much appreciate it!
    -lakerdonald