Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi i am having a problem with proftpd on a FC5 system when i try to login the ftp client says incorrect login, when i know its 100% right so ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ProFTPd wont login

Hi

i am having a problem with proftpd on a FC5 system

when i try to login the ftp client says incorrect login, when i know its 100% right

so i looked in the logs and i was getting the following message

Code:
    May 14 11:46:45 92-81 proftpd[9151]: hostname (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]) - USER admin: Login successful. 
    May 14 11:46:45 92-81 proftpd[9151]: Hostname (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]) - notice: unable to use '~/' [resolved to '/home/']: Permission denied 
    May 14 10:46:45 92-81 proftpd[9151]: Hostname (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]) - Preparing to chroot to directory '~/' 
    May 14 10:46:45 92-81 proftpd[9151]: Hostname (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]) - admin chroot("~/"): No such file or directory 
    May 14 10:46:45 92-81 proftpd[9151]: Hostname (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]) - error: unable to set default root directory
    the permissons are set right on /home

Code:
    drwxrwxrwx 16 admin admin 4096 May 14 12:02 /home
    i have tried vsftp and pure-ftp but non of them seem to allow me to login as admin or anyother user i added

anyone got any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks

David

Just Joined!
    Given the fact your home directory permissions are 777 proftpd may possibly be complaining about this as a security issue.. however I'm not completely sure..

Code:
    drwxr-xr-x   18 root  root   4096 Mar  7 21:53 home
    These permissions should be adequate (755).

Not only that check /etc/passwd and check teh users homedirectory, its a little unusual to have someones homedirectory being /home only...

Just Joined!
    How exactly did you install and set up proftpd? Installed via RPM? If so, try removing it (rpm -ev proftpd) and reinstalling (rpm -ivh proftpd) it to make sure it loaded the proper pam modules and such.

It could also be complaining about the lax security settings you have on your /home directory too.

Though, like the above poster mentioned, you're a pretty daring person allowing full permissions to everyone on your server to fully write into the /home dir. Change /home to 775 and make sure you're setting the right default adduser prefs when creating the accounts.

'useradd -m [user]' sets the proper user directory inside /home assuming your adduser default prefs has your HOME dir set up as /home.

If those fail, try copying and pasting your /etc/proftpd.conf file so that we can attempt seeing if it's a configuration error.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close