Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Greetings, Hi all! I am a newbie to Linux (RH) and was trying to use Apache as the webserver. I was able to start Apache and build http connections with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Apache Services

Greetings,

Hi all! I am a newbie to Linux (RH) and was trying to use Apache as the webserver. I was able to start Apache and build http connections with localhost only. Any other client access to Apache web services response a failure (no http service). I have checked .conf file and it shows a listening port of 80 enabled with no prescribing IP address.

I do not have any clue on this! Could somebody give me some hints for this ? Many thanks in advance!

Best regards

eprom

What about /

Did you try using the IP address, are you on the same network or are you trying to access the server from the WAN.

I'm not sure what your problem is, but have you checked to make sure port 80 is open in your firewall?
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

So ?

Is the server for a LAN or a WAN.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for all your replies! The machine of Apache and Accessing client are on 2 separate networks! I have tried to use IIS to act as the web server instead of Apache and its works!

So I think the problem might be I have missing something with the Apache's settings. Somebody has suggested that I should enable the firewall also! Could you please give me some more details on that ? Thanks

Best regards

eprom

Let me understand. You can access the server from inside the network with localhost, but you can't access it from outside the network?

This could be several things. Check to make sure there is no firewall blocking port 80 access to the web server. This may be a firewall on the server itself, or it may be on a router that is between the server and the internet.
    If there is a router, make sure that it knows to forward port 80 requests to the internal IP address of the server.
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII

More info please ?

Can you tell us more about your network , what distro are you running ?

Just Joined!
    Thanks for all!

I've got 2 machines for tesitng. The Apache server is running on RHL and connected to the Internet through broadband ISP network (direct connection - no LAN or router diversion). The accessing client machine runs on window os and is connected to the internet through dialup network (direct connection).

When accessing through Apache is a failure, I swapped my web page (HTML) to run on IIS instead (using the same ISP broadband services) and it works. So, I think I might have missing something for the Linux setting! Could I know how to enable port 80 for linux firewall? Thanks

Best regards

eprom

One more question ?

Do you have a static or dynamic IP address, is this a residential line or bussiness line?

This is a really dumb question -- did you remember to restart the apache daemon after changing its settings?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast