Find the answer to your Linux question:
Okay.. About 3 months ago I could not install any sort of Linux now I can do much more than installation, so I am proud of myself(I learn most of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Red Hat White Box Server Problem

Okay.. About 3 months ago I could not install any sort of Linux now I can do much more than installation, so I am proud of myself(I learn most of the stuff here).. Today, I came across the installation problem again. I was installing red Hat White box 3.0? or 5.0? as a server . Anway, after the installation complete, computer spit the cd out and ask me to reboot, of course i did. But the os never started back. It just loop around the setting page and dell splash scree, it was keep rebooting itself.
    When I was installing
    I did
    / 153GB ext3
    /boot 1024Mb ext3
    /swap 1024Mb

I did choose Server option and did the minimal soft. pack

I did not touch the GRUB bootloader(by the way,It is the only OS on the machine, not a dual boot or something). i also set up some network confugiration but they are okay I guess.. I also check the bios and make sure everything was right..
    Since It did not work, I place the cd and boot with" ks" but still did not do any good. What do you think the problem is? Any help would be appriciated.. Thanks

Here's the thing: If you're going to go to the trouble of creating a /boot partition (which should not be necessary with many new BIOS), you definitely do not want it as the second partition, after a huge first partition. The whole point is supposed to be that it remains within the first 1024 cylinders.

Try again - this time if you're going to create a /boot partition, make sure it's the first one on the disk. Also, 1024MB is massive overkill. How about more like 30MB?

Anyway, I suspect that is what's causing your problem. Your BIOS can't address the /boot partition the way you have it set up.

Just Joined!
    Actually, the order was wrong here I first create the /boot and then root and last swap.. Would that make any difference.. The sizes were correct. I understand the size issue with the /boot though.. Would the order I gave you is okay or there is still something wrong with it..

If /boot is the first partition it is probably ok (even if the size is much larger than it need to be).

It just loop around the setting page and dell splash scree, it was keep rebooting itself.
    I'm not sure what the problem could be. The next thing I would try is installing the bootloader (grub) to see if that will allow you to boot correctly.

Just Joined!
    Isn't the bootloader(GRUB) installed with the whole installation program. If not? How would I just install GRUB only instead of installing whole thing over again? On the other hand, where should I place the bootloader when I install again. I mean, When I install the whole thing there was question regarding to GRUB but I did not touch anything whatever was the default thats what I did.

I see what you're saying. I believe by default RHEL installs grub to the mbr. It probably wouldn't hurt to try again to confirm. (At this point you don't even have a box that boots.)

Just Joined!
    It is weird, I did the installation again the same way I did before and it worked this time.. I do not know really.. Anyways, I really appriciate anomie, talking with you gave me new ideas for future problems. Thanks again