Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I just recently installed Fedora Core 6 with KDE (Without GNOME though.) And I've been scrambling to try and get my card detected by the system. However, I need to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Intel PRO/Wireless (Gateway Laptop)

I just recently installed Fedora Core 6 with KDE (Without GNOME though.) And I've been scrambling to try and get my card detected by the system. However, I need to install this before I can download and install this, this or this.

Since I can't get onto the Internet using my laptop (because of the fact the wireless card won't work.) I need to be able to do this all locally and simply. There's one other problem you should know:

The ieee installation said (as below)
    The installation requires the compiled kernel sources or headers
    against the matching kernel. These are typically found in:

/lib/modules/\`uname -r\`/build
    That doesn't exist (The folder under modules is the Fedora Core 6 folder.) But I thought I installed the kernel. (This also doesn't exist on the GNOME side either.)

Sorry, I can't go back to Windows XP. You know why? The CD will hang, and it only started doing as such after I installed Fedora Core 6.

What card is the laptop using? On my Toshiba Satellite it's the IPW3945 wireless. After a fresh install of Fedora 7 all I need to do to get wireless working is to go into services and enable NetworkManager and NetworkManagerDispatch. Reboot and I get a working wireless connection. FWIW I installed no drivers and jumped through no hoops to get it to work.
    Glenn
    Powered by Fedora

Quote Originally Posted by glennzo View Post
    What card is the laptop using? On my Toshiba Satellite it's the IPW3945 wireless. After a fresh install of Fedora 7 all I need to do to get wireless working is to go into services and enable NetworkManager and NetworkManagerDispatch. Reboot and I get a working wireless connection. FWIW I installed no drivers and jumped through no hoops to get it to work.
    The card is supposidly using Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 ~ 2200 according to Windows XP before all this occured. If it isn't, then it's the 34xx or higher (The card itself was capable of Packet Bursting, etc.)

I also tried enabling the Network Manager (before), but because my Network card needed to be installed beforehand, the NetworkManager was only able to detect my Eth0 (Ethernet Wired Connection.)

Also, I found out something about my /lib/modules/\`uname -r\`/build directory (It was when I tried doing the make command in the ieee directory.)

Turns out the directory doesn't exist, but when doing a mkdir build in that directory (For fedora core 6 modules), the terminal complains the folder is there. When I did a dir, it was there (At the top of the listing.) However, the terminal could not cd to it. There was a bunch of ieee files already on the FC6 system as well. I was going to post them once I re-installed a fresh copy of FC6 (As I accidentally told the Terminal to remove them when I did the make command.)

Why would I choose Fedora 7? It's in beta. Also, IPW3945 wireless doesn't exist in the array of drivers that were included on my FC6.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by iyeru42 View Post
    Why would I choose Fedora 7?
    Fedora 7 Testing has been pretty stable for me since RC1. I don't use it on a regular basis. It's not meant for that yet. It's in testing, but if you have the space on the hard disk it may be worth it to see if wireless works there for you. It's a toy for me at this point. It will, however, replace Fedora Core 6 the minute it's released, probably next week. On another note, did you look in Applications > Add/Remove Software?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Glenn