Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have just finished installing redhat rel 4 on our dell powredge server and I'm now having a problem logging in using init:3, on the other servers I am ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Cannot login using init:3

Hi,

I have just finished installing redhat rel 4 on our dell powredge server and I'm now having a problem logging in using init:3, on the other servers I am not having this problem. So what I did is do an ssh to another server, was able to do an ssh without any problem, and do a startx from there. As soon as the GUI is enabled a can now login.

When I left the office last night everything was ok. I'm not sure if someone has changed any setting on the server.

Please help!

Thanks!

Smile Chkout for password...!!!

Hey,
    Just check out both the passwords on GUI and on text mode you are entering is same or go to rescue mode set the password for that user using chpasswd command one option or can say remedy for the problem is booting your server itself on init 5 and you can use GUI terminal there which is same as text mode or CLI teminal..

If need any, im there...

Just Joined!
    yes, we've been doing that for now but we we'll have to use text mode as soon as the servers go to production since text mode uses minimal resources compared to gui mode.