Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently installed a RH9 on a seperate HD in my existing win2k pro PC. I am trying to MOVE AWAY from MS products all together. Overall things have gone ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

JAVA in RH9 and MySql

I recently installed a RH9 on a seperate HD in my existing win2k pro PC. I am trying to MOVE AWAY from MS products all together.

Overall things have gone very well and I am impressed with Linux.

The one problem I am having, which I have not been able to find a solution for, is getting JAVA apps to run on Linux.

I installed j2sdk1.4.2_04 with a bit of difficulty, but it installed. I have not been able to get ANY Java app to recognize that the jre exists on my distro.

I've written sh files with JAVA_HOME and classpaths pointing to the jvm, no luck,
    I've installed the apps as subfolders of the jvm, no luck.

The ONLY java apps I've been able to get to work are Java WebStart apps, installed and running through WINE.

This is also a nice feature, being able to run some of my NON-MS windows apps in Linux with WINE. This works really great. I was able to resolve a problem I was having with my RadioUserland weblog by installing it and running it under WINE. My Radio installation had corupted in win and they were todally unable to get it to work again, so I basically gave up. Then I saw an old post that said this person had been able to run Radio in WINE, so I tried it and it works.

The only problem with runninf Radio in WINE, is I no longer get the deasktop taskbar icon, nor can I easily shutdown WINE or Radio ? ! So I basically have to reboot my PC, even though just logging OFF and then back ON again works.

Any help with the Java problem will be greatly appreciated. I have a few Java apps that I use often that I would really like to use in Linux. OH, I am trying to use, where available, versions that are meant to be run in Linux, otherwise the same O/S Independent app.

I am fairly familiar with configuring and setting up apps manaually, batch files, sh files, paths, etc. I ahev been using Apache HTML Server in Windows for some time with PHP, MySql, Perl, and other apps. I am NOT a developer or programmer, but I can setup apps even where the normal procedure does not work.

I'm planning on using Apache in Linux, particularlly since it is already installed. Just stil trying to figure out where all the components are, how to start them, where the htdocs app directory is, which I've reasonably figured out.

So, this is another question. How do you get MySql to work in RH9 ? Apache I've gotten to work, and even a few php apps that do not use a db .

Thanks

Linux Guru
    Why not continue with the java issue in the other thread you have about it?
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=100935

Linux Newbie
    I'm planning on using Apache in Linux, particularlly since it is already installed. Just stil trying to figure out where all the components are, how to start them, where the htdocs app directory is, which I've reasonably figured out.
    Code:
    #/etc/init.d/httpd start
    starts the apache server.

you can also start this by
    Code:
    # service httpd start
    NEVER stop/pause Journey of Learning -Travelling Soldier ( Me )

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    How do you get MySql to work in RH9 ? Apache I've gotten to work, and even a few php apps that do not use a db .
    Code:
    # /etc/init.d/mysqld start
    starts mysql server.

for java apps to communicate to mysql server, you need to have mysql-connector-java-3.0.9-stable-bin.jar in you class path
    NEVER stop/pause Journey of Learning -Travelling Soldier ( Me )